Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th January 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
benti

Default Sail range vs rider weight?

Hi,i am considereing a new slalom board, for middle to light wind.Have read a lot of threads here on the forum about sail size capacity of various boards,but i wonder-what defines the max capacity? will a light person say 70 kg be able to sail well on the isonic 101 in less wind using a larger sail than an 85kg? or is it board with and planing ability that are the key factors? I intended to buy a 111, and use it down to 6.7(code reds) and on the big sail 8.3. but i actually thinking about the 101, to have the best combo on the fantastic days powered up with the 6.7 -benti 70kg of perfect body
benti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Floyd

Red face

Not on team but I`m pretty sure lighter sailors can use bigger sails on any given board.I think its because there`s more buoyancy left to to support rig. Other end of scale is opposite.(ie big sailor will get away with a smaller sail on given board.)
So heavier rider wont have a wider range just a different one.
ie I (at 100k) use Evo 92 right down to 4 metre(and below a few times) quite easily but I struggle with 6 and over,whereas daughter (at 65k uses) 6.4 on it (with 30 fin )
At your weight the quoted guides will be accurate.
Good luck
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I agree with Floyd. Sailor weight does shift the sail range of a board a bit. Not a huge bit but a bit. Since the iS101 is already quoted to handle an 8.5 so I think you will definitely be on the safe side with 70kg and an 8.3.

I'm 70kg myself and used to have the iS101. My biggest sail was a 7.5 but that didn't feel anywhere near max, rather quite sweet spot, ie the board felt effective and easy to plane on at the lower spectrum of the range of the sail and controllable and smooth in the upper range.

If top performance with the 8.3 in a racing situation is important, my guess is that the 111 will be a tad better. But overall I feel the 101 is a much better match to your weight.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Screamer

Agree with Ola & Floyd. I use iS122, but I've sailed 101 and 111 on ocassions. Sail range 6.7 - 8.3 sounds like iS111 territory, but it's a lot of range and you have to choose which end (high or low) is more important ... If you're light (check) and 6.7-7.5 performance is priority (check), then go for iS101.
To answer your question, yes, a lighter sailor can benefit from somewhat larger rig on the same board, in conditions where a heavy sailor feels that gain is zero. I wouldn't choose 8.3 + iS101 as a good lightwind combo, but I'm 86 kilos.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Benti,

Check out some iS 101 vs iS 111 test reports made by Christine (62 kg and her 85 kg husband) on our french forum. Plenty of useful information WRT your query.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 04:46 AM   #6
auraki

So are you saying that a 101 planes earlier than a 111 for a lightweigt with sail about 6.8 - 7.5 ? or that the difference is that little that it`s better to have the 101 ?
auraki is offline   Reply With Quote