Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th January 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
nonopr

Thumbs up Kode 86 My Experience

A weeks ago I got my new Kode 86 carbon wood version. What can I say? Out of the box the board looks great, it is light weight and feels very stiff.
I got it all set up with some recommendation from Kevin Pritchard and from Jasper Orth and seems everyone is using it with a wide stance on the foot straps. I have it on the front straps in the middle holes and in the back with a single foot strap in the back holes.
Mast track in the recommended and off to the water. I used it the first day with a 6.2 Maui Sail Global 2008 skinny mast 75% carbon and the factory 25cm fin.
It was sort of windy I will say about 18-20 knots and water was choppy and waves about 5-7 feet in the Reef. Side shore winds.

The first thing I notice was the ability to go upwind at planning speed eating chop like nothing was going on. Very race feeling stiff and very fast. Super lose in jibes and tacks. Very surprise.
Once I reach the waves the board handle the open faces like a true wave board. It jumped with control and always felt very good on landings. But riding waves was a real treat, fast but easy to control and when needed to slow down it did very good. Fin felt a bit big I think a 23 or 22 cm fin will be better for waves, but then I needed to go upwind to keep up with the wave area the 25cm fin did its job.

Next time I go out will be with a crossover sail Possibly a 2009 Switch 6.0 and I will be putting two straps in the back and moving straps to start all the way back. Fin will be a vector fin custom wave-slalom 26 or a 28cm and i will report when done.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Great report. Keep it coming. Feedback is always good.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 05:41 PM   #3
barneyG

hi nonopr, just a quick question, how much do you weigh because i was looking at that size board for mainly the same conditions as you've described, im 60kg, thanks.
barneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 06:15 PM   #4
nonopr

I am 168 lbs(76 kilos)
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Barney: At 60kg I think you should look at the Kode 80. The narrower tail will make it much easier to handle on the wave.

If you will not _ride_ waves too much and/or have a smaller wave board as a complement, the Kode86 will still work nice though. (I weight 70. Have sailed both.)
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote