Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th January 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
prpa

Send a message via Skype™ to prpa
Default BOARD'S Sails range SHIFT due to Sailor weight

Dear all
I am reading lot of posts, and I notice that some conclusion can be made
that SAILOR WEIGHT INFLUENCE SHIFT OF THE IDEAL SAIL RANGE OF THE BOARD.

For example:
FUTURA133 sail range 6.0-9.5 m2

Is it correct that i.e. for 95 kg weight sailor ideal range will shift down (i.e. 5.0-8.5 m2)?

From your experiance can you tell me how much this shift will be for 95kg sailor?
prpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
ashka

I would not say it shifts, I'd rather think that sailor weight defines the part of the indicated sail range in wich the sailor will be fine.

whateverBoard indicated sail range = 6.0-9.5 m2

heavy weight will be fine from 6 to 8.5 mē
light weight will be fine from 7 to 9.5 mē

I strongly believe that there is not a single windsurf board in the world that has a 3.5mē wide sail range for a given sailor. Efficient sail range, I mean.

Last edited by ashka; 29th January 2009 at 05:13 PM.
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
Ken

ashka,

You are right about your last sentence -

"I strongly believe that there is not a single windsurf board in the world that has a 3.5mē wide sail range for a given sailor. Efficient sail range, I mean."

However, this applies to the advanced sailor or pro. Beginning & intermediate sailors may use a wide range of sails on some boards and in some situations. The experienced sailor could also choose a wide range of sails on a single board as well.

When I was racing long boards (Equipe II XR), I used anything from a 6.5 to 10.4 depending on the wind and conditions.

In more recent years, I have raced using sails from 11.0 down to 6.5 on my formula board in winds between 8 & 30 knots.

Clearly, there is a prefered sail range for particular boards as Starboard suggests, but sometimes you have to make due with the situation at hand.

I bet a 9.5 would work fine on the 133 with a 95 kg sailor. We need to hear from somone that has used large sails on the 133..............

Last edited by Ken; 31st January 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote