Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st February 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Extensions - Streamlined vs Neil Pryde X6 MXT/UXT

Following some extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that Streamlined and NP X6 extensions are the best on the market .. however how do these two compare?

Has anyone owned had the chance to compare these two together?
Old 1st February 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Unregistered

I have both for my TR4. The NP extension is a better match for that sail. For other sails, I can't comment.
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

What about the downhaul pull required. Is one easier than another?

Can you downhaul sails with the extensions by hand only?

How is one extension better than another for specific sails? They both aluminium extensions and would have similar flex?
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
nonopr

The Neilpryde and Chinook extensions are by far better than any Streamline extension. Both of them has the built ans the quality you can depend.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Unregistered

nonopr,
I am very surprised with your reply. Are you saying that the Streamlined quality is not very good? I have never heard any complaints about Streamlined so I would very much like to understand more information on this.
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
mim

Hi,

I have never heard about any problem with chinook as well. Guys, are you sure you want the discussion on which extension is better than the other one?

Btw, the statement in the first post..."they are the best...". How the hell you can say that, have you try all that you can get, or just 2 or 4 (even that is extremely lot).

I just think, get the one made by your sailproducer and you will not be far from ideal...from another suppliers i have experiance with chinook and the thing is doing just fine.

have fun!
Ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
"they are the best...".
No worries.

I probably should have spent more time thinking about my words more precisely.

I should have written ... 'the NP and Streamlined are my top two preferred options'.

Just need any feedback deciding between my two preferences.
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Unregistered

nonopr,

have you noticed any difference in downhauling the NP X6 compared to the Streamlined? Is one easier than the other?
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:21 PM   #9
nonopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nonopr,
I am very surprised with your reply. Are you saying that the Streamlined quality is not very good? I have never heard any complaints about Streamlined so I would very much like to understand more information on this.
Streamline are good, I jusy like better their bases. Which I use. But in regard extensions, Chinook has 3 pulleys and the way they built them (design) is better than the old school style of the pulleys in the Streamline. Now talking about NEilpryde which I also use, So far they are way ahead of design and convinience, plus the rope they now put in their extensions are the best for downhaul. They are by far design better.

I have never had any failure with any extension of any brand name, but I rely on either Neilpryde or Chinook for the pulley design and structure.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nonopr,
I have used a Streamlined extention and matching US cup base for a couple of years now. The problem I have had with the Streamlined base is that it distorts when downhauling my 10M sail. I use a winch to down haul this, and everything looks OK but I have a big struggle to insert the cup base into the extention.

On close inspection I find the extention has gone oval at the bottom and I can't get the US cup base inside. Very frustrating at the beach. In my experience, the Streamlined base and extention is suitable for 7.5 and smaller sails only.