Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th February 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Nick F

Cool Futura 144 v Formula Board

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there would be any big difference in the Futura 144 and the Formula board. I have a Futura 144 and use a Lightning 9.4 and find it very good, but would like to go bigger on sail size to get planning in lighter winds.
Would the formula board be worth spending the extra money for how much quicker would you get on the plane, and would the Formula board be harder to windsurf than the Futura 144. Any comments would be great. Any tips and advice on Formula windsurfing would be magic. Thanks
P.S I have had Starboard Express and Start 210 Boards before, but I think they would be a big difference in the Formula?

Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Screamer

Hi Nick
I haven't sailed a Futura144, but I've tried several freeride boards in that size. I've sailed Formula for 2-3 seasons, and gave up, but now and then I borrow one for a ride. Yes, there is going to be a big difference between an F144 and a formula. Earlier planing won't be the only difference, you'll also get better up- and down-wind angles. Definetely more demanding/harder ride, and worse/clunkier handling and gybing with 11-12m rig and 100cm hull, compared to a Futura. How heavy are you? If you are light and you mostly blast back and forth, I believe you won't gain a world of difference. By all means go Formula if you're into racing or up/down cruising at extreme angles. As always, try/borrow one before splashing the $$$. (larger than 9.4 race sail will demand full carbon boom and mast)

Good luck

PS No need to post on both forums
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Per

Hi Nick. I don't know the Futura, but I did have its predecessor the Carve 145, and I actually had a Lightning 9.4 for that too. I now have a formula 159 (a little less maxed yhan the newest designs) and I sail it with a Lightning 10.3.

Simply said if you use some directly comparable parametres it will be like this:

Early planing: definitely formula (the 144/9.4 is no slough though). The formula will feel powerfull and point earlier than futura. In marginal conditions this means a lot. If you mostly sail in + 10 knots it may mean less.
Pointing and downwind: DEFINITELY in favour of the formula.
Reaching speed: well powered: equal, max powered: maybe a little in favour of the Furura (but formula is surprisingly fast)
Jibes: DEFINITELY in favour of the Futura (basically formula jibes horrible)
Manouvres and looseness: Futura is way better.
Cruising: formula. The ability to point anf go low just brings you a lot around.

The formula will feel a lot harder to sail until you get used to it. Modern short formula designs are actually quite loose and they bring a lot of time on the water.

It's a very personal thing.
I liked my Carve 145, but in my spot the Formula gave me something like 40% more planing time (almost planing days became full planing days)

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Nick F

Wink

Thanks Screamer and Per for your comments and advice.
I weigh 14 stone (95Lbs)?
I am not sure what I should do, whether to go for Formula board or not? The problem I have is I stay in Central Scotland and there is nothing here that you can go and have a shot of any boards like this, even England I am having problems finding such a place where you can hire Formula boards and give it a go.
Looks like I will have to buy another board and rig, and hope itís what I expected. I think my main worry is that I buy the gear and find it harder than I thought. I think I can manage the muscle side of it, but the technical side is another thing.

If I tell my wife I need another board, she will divorce me and sell the house, and then I can get a new board and rig with the money I get from the house. Good thinking. Am just away to tell her!

Many Thanks

Nick

Starboard
Futura 144, Carve 131, Kombat 117, Start 210, and maybe Formula?
Old 17th February 2009, 04:03 AM   #5
Unregistered

Nick, if you can persuade the wife to holiday at Minorca sailing you can try plenty of Formula gear. Got the X-15 next year too.
http://www.minorcasailing.co.uk/?q=windsurf/equipment
Old 17th February 2009, 04:28 AM   #6
Nick F

Thanks for the link, will look at that maybe next year, we are expecting new baby in june so not going to far this year.
P.S Does Butlins Holidays have windsurfing!

Cheers

Nick
Old 17th February 2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Screamer

Nick
For a start, I think you'e got too many boards (you really don't need FIVE boards with the smallest being 117. You never sail in stronger winds?). If you decide on a Formula, maybe you can reduce your quiver to just two boards, F + Aero. Formula with a large rig cost a lot and I would definetely advise trying one. You might want to try Boards forum for advice on finding one.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Nick F

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Nick
For a start, I think you'e got too many boards (you really don't need FIVE boards with the smallest being 117. You never sail in stronger winds?). If you decide on a Formula, maybe you can reduce your quiver to just two boards, F + Aero. Formula with a large rig cost a lot and I would definetely advise trying one. You might want to try Boards forum for advice on finding one.
Yes Screamer, I agree I have to many boards. The only reason for this, is that I use my old secon hand carve and start at my local loch which I class as my trash boards, due to the loch is shallow and rocks where you trash the fin ect.
F144 & K177 are my babies that I use for blasting and choppy conditions.
My F2 is up for sale, bought for my local loch for blasting, but find it very hard to use, very narrow for my likes.

My K117 still working on going this as its my smallest board, but find it very good in choppy conditions when you get going.
F144 great board, fast and easy to ride, no falling off.

Had a look around and found that I can pick up a board 2nd hand for around £300 - £350 but then have to get bigger mast,boom and sail? Yes I will have to spend more money.
This is why I am trying to do my home work before I jump in the deep end!
I have all ready bought a lot of gear before and found out that its not my cup of tea, or to hard to go ect.

I think I have go a contact in Scotland where I can have a go at Formula board and see how I get on.

Yes I would love to only have two boards and 4/5 sails to cover my whole wind range.

Thanks Screamer for the info
Old 17th February 2009, 06:47 AM   #9
mark h

Hey Nick, you salvage your marriage and gain valuable brownie points at the same time by following screamers advice. 2nd hand F159/F160 (available from Boardwise for around £300), and keep either the K117 or C131, and grab a 100ish ltr board for stronger days, sorted. The main problem now is that you have four (possibly five soon) light wind boards. Three should pretty much cover you for most conditions. Dont worry about Formula being "highly technical". At world cup level and sailing in "all" conditions, yes, formula is V-technically and physically demanding, but for max light wind fun (when most waters are pretty flat), formula is easy and stacks of fun.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mark h; 17th February 2009 at 06:51 AM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 01:30 AM   #10
Nick F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark h View Post
Hey Nick, you salvage your marriage and gain valuable brownie points at the same time by following screamers advice. 2nd hand F159/F160 (available from Boardwise for around £300), and keep either the K117 or C131, and grab a 100ish ltr board for stronger days, sorted. The main problem now is that you have four (possibly five soon) light wind boards. Three should pretty much cover you for most conditions. Dont worry about Formula being "highly technical". At world cup level and sailing in "all" conditions, yes, formula is V-technically and physically demanding, but for max light wind fun (when most waters are pretty flat), formula is easy and stacks of fun.
Hi Mark

I cant go anything less than my K117, not that good yet? But I find that when guys are out in their 80 ltr boards, my 117 is fine, maybe my weight (14st)
If guys are out on a 5m I will be on a 6.5, but I am no expert.

I see you have an Isonic, are they harder to go than the Formula Boards, even on a large volume isonic?
P.S. I was going to get one before I bought the Futura, but was told they are hard to ride, very technical.

I know is hard to say if its hard or not, it could be for me, but not for you.

Thanks Again
Nick