Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th April 2009, 02:10 PM   #1
mim

Default fin for EVO 100

Hi,

I just went out fot the first time with my new EVO 100. It was gusting 35 knots, average around 20 kn. I was on 5.0 S-1 at the beginning overpowered, later just fine.

The board is nice, not so fast but perfectly under control, kind of early planner and unexpectedly easy to ride even for me at 100kg (dry).

The only problem I have with the board so far is the this:
The lake I usaully sail on has a tricky chop...unregular, up to 1 meter. The problem is as the board go upwind (actually suprisingly well as long the fin is in the water)...I hit the chop, and as the fin looses the contact with the water, the one thing that follows is massive spinout and waterstart.

Now the question is...for such a rough see high wind freeride do I need to change a fin or just get used to it and try to fit in my sailing style?

Thanks for the response!
Ciao Michal.
Old 17th April 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

You use the supplied 26cm Drake Natural, right? I think something like a 26cm Drake crossover would help. It has a fair bit more power than the Natural 26 despite not being deeper. In particular, there is more drive lower down in the fins which would help. I think that with this fin, you could also drive the board a little harder over the the fin which I actually will help over the chop. You will off course still need to be responsive when you hit chop, but it helps when you can rely on the fin to "connect" to the water in a solid way after a small air passage.

You could go for the crossover 28 too, but I think that will be too much fin for a 5.0 even for your weight.

How is the PA 86 in the same conditions? Which fin do you use on that one?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
mim

Thanks for the promt response...

I use it like that:

Evo 100 : 5.9 and 5.0
PA 86: 5.0 and 4.3

The Acid is good on natural 26 (from the evo) with 5.0 and very good on stock fin for 4.3 (altough I used it only on saltwater in a bit of different see conditions).

I think the crossover in 28 should fit just fine because I would go for it with the 5.9 as well. One question more I have, to get the other fin it will take some time...can the footstraps and fin position setting help a little:
right now the rear footstraps I have in the rear holes and the fin is in the centre.

Thanks again Ola,
ciao Michal.
Old 17th April 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Floyd

Cool

I initilly had problems going upwind (chop or not) on Evo 92 (weight 102) so now use MFC 30 (crossover) for over 5 metre and 26 (drake) for under.The MFC 30 sounds big (if thats poss) but I have no problems getting upwind and board is still lose and free.(Relatively)
I was told fin would be too big but (IMO) its fine.
Max sail size is still around 5.7 ish.(Even with 30 in)

Its my high wind board and on occasions I`ve changed down to it carrying a bigger fin than board I`ve just left. (Goya FXR) Seems totally wrong but ????

Try a 28 and a 30 ???? (for 5metre + sails)
Good luck
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Generally on EVOs, moving back the fin will not always help with upwind, but since your problem is not technically upwind per se, it might be worth a try.

You might try changing boom height too. Try a bit both lower and higher and see if it makes the board control easier.

BTW, I have a 30cm Drake Freeride flow, never used. If you're interested I can check postage from Sweden to Switzerland and you can have it cheap. A little big maybe, but worth a try in the light of Floyds experience.

I may have a Drake crossover somewhere too, not sure about size though.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:41 PM   #6
mim

Hi Ola,

would actually be interested in both (I mean one or another). If you could send it to me i would be very happy...

the freeride flow is on US-box?? (normally not).
Check please which crossover you have got and I tell you in which I am interested at most!

PS: it is kind of complicated in Switzerland because sometimes the importer doesn't have fins.

Ciao Michal.

Last edited by mim; 20th April 2009 at 04:48 PM.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

I'll check on monday what shipment would cost and which sizes of fins it is that I have. The freeride flow is US box, yes.

send me an email, ola.helenius@ncm.gu.se, and we can take it from there.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
mim

You really are good...
if the freeride flow is on US box and if you would have crossover in 26 or 28 I would take it as well (for the PA).

Just let me know than how you would like me to pay I I'll do so!
Have a nice weekend.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:02 AM   #9
mim

Wink

Hi Ola,

do you already know how the shipping costs? Sorry for pushing you, but I'd like to reduce the time to minimum...the wind is coming, you know...

Thanks!
Ciao Michal.
Old 21st April 2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Mail sent...