Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th April 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
MuXx

Default Go vs Futura - what is the difference and will I really notice?

It is quite interesting to me that the 122L Go board has the same shape as the Futura. I notice that there is some difference in weight (Go is 9.13 kgs and the future technora is 7.35 kgs) as a result of the construction material. But what does that actually mean for an intermediate windsurfer that has mastered the water start but is yet to complete my first jibe without wiping out. The price is a little different, so my question is - will i notice any real difference between the two boards or should i go with a GO and save my money for a new sail?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
MuXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hard to say for sure, but yes, I think you will notice. The Futura is not only lighter but also a stiffer construction which makes it a fair bit more effective*. If you intend to keep the board for a while as you progress, I think you will prefer the Futura.

(* I have not use these two particular board , but base the comparison on the old Aero 117 and Starsurfer which was the same shape but with a construction more similar to the Go - The Aero felt A LOT livelier and easier to get going. Of course, the Starsurfer is very much a sailable board (and I still have it as a fun family board) but the Aero was just a more fun and a higher performing board.)
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
kvda

If you'll notice depends on your skills. Let's put it this way: the better you get, the more you'll notice. But for a beginner, I would go for the Go.
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
artsci2

I modified my Go to have a sharper rails from the widest point to the tail and noticed a quicker transition to planning and better glide through wind lulls. I did not notice any change in how it turns. My improved Go looks more like a Futura....
artsci2 is offline   Reply With Quote