Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th May 2009, 08:00 PM   #1
job

Default board quiver, please some advise...

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting rid of my carve 99 after many years of fun! awesum board!
BUT It's a bit big in high winds and would like to have two boards instead. A 85L (approx) wave/freeride and a 105L (approx) freeride board.

My weight is 77 KG and I just want to go fast, jump now and then, gybe, and have control in choppy conditions and that's about it. Not that interested in double forward loops. My sail quiver is 4.7 - 5.2 - 5,9 and 7m. (NeilPryde) I sail in conditions from 15 to 25 knots in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Australia

Would the Pure Acid 86L be suitable for the small bord in the quiver? I know it's a hardcore wave board but apparently suitable for freeride blasting too. I saw a few (second hand) 2008 models around. The big board is going to be likely a JP.

Thanks for your help. Job
job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Screamer

Hi Job

As I see it the choice is between Acid86 and Kombat/Kode 86. I'm not sure that a pure wave board can serve as your main bump/jump board. I suppose it can, since you're not that heavy, but only if you have very consistent winds, maybe someone from Gorge/Tarifa/Canaries/etc will chime in (I'm a freshwater sailor, 86kg, and I do use an Acid, and it is a good freeride/blasting board, but only when it's really howling). Where I live it can be very gusty, so wider tail Kombat/Kode is usually a better choice on most days, even when it's strong (even those sailors that don't like Kombats, admit they are very CONTROL oriented boards).

Btw, K86 is just about perfect for your sails 4.7-5.9. Since you've sailed a Carve99 for so long, I guess K86 will be small/controllable enough without the need for a real, narrow tail wave board.

Good luck

PS I don't know your conditions exactly, but if you want to cover as much as possible, I think you can safely go for a 110-115l bigger board to carry 7.5-8.0 (if you need it) and use 5.9 on both boards.

Last edited by Screamer; 21st May 2009 at 02:33 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 06:15 AM   #3
job

Thanks so much for this feedback. I'm getting somewhere now! I definitely sail in winds not always that consistent. Also, having the possibility of using 5.9 on both boards is really important to me because it gives you heaps of flexibility when wind/conditions change. I'll check out the Kode 86. Interesting what you mentioned the wider tail in comparison with the Acid. Hopefully I can find second hand ones. Is the Kode the follow up of the Kombat 08? Cheers, Job
Old 21st May 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Screamer

Yes the Kode is successor to the Kombat. If you find '08 model (I think it's 89 lit) go for it, excellent board.
Having a crossover sail is a good idea, and I know because I miss it sometimes (large gap between boards). I get along OK, but it would make life more comfortable.
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
job

Hi again, I found a new Kombat 2008 79L which goes for almost half price if i trade in my old carve 99. I was wondering if it could handle my NP excess 5.9 though. if it can i might go for it and get a 100- 105 L board (don't know whet yet) as the big one in the quiver later on...
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Screamer

Specs are something like this:
K79 up to 5.5
K86 up to 6.0
Haven't tried K79, but I know that light sailors (65kg) sometimes use K86 with a 6.5 (I can't @ 86kg, I've tried). Following this, my guess is that you'll gain no early planing, but worse handling with a 5.9. Compare the ride with your 5.2 and 5.9 and see for yourself.

From other sailor's reports I got the impression that Port Phillip Bay can fire more than 25kts now and then, so it might be a good idea to go for a K79/80, rather than a K86. Ask around what other locals are using.

Good luck

Last edited by Screamer; 22nd May 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:16 PM   #7
job

Hi Screamer, I really appreciate your feedback, this must be such a time consuming business for you! Answering all those questions. Screamer is popping up everywhere! This forum is awesum. Thanks again Job
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Kode 86, Kombat 79 or Pure Acid 86 will all work. They are in fact more similar than one might think. I'm just a few kilos lighter than you but used my K79 many times with 5.9 and even slightly bigger. If works quite well with a bit bigger fin. It's a super nice board, particularly the lighter 2008 version (2007 Kombat were heavier). Even though you might struggle a bit more with 5.9 on the K79 than on the wider PA86 (or K86), I think that it overall will be a better board for the conditions you sail.

So, K79 is my advice.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote