Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th June 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
matyix

Default Kode 80 + pair it with a smaller one

Hi guys,

Iím in the middle of buying a new board(s). I weight 80kg and I managed to stick with an Evo 80 2007 for the last two years as a one board quiver. As my biggest sail is 5.3 the EVO worked well for me in marginal conditions, once on the wave doesnít really matter anyway, however you need to get to the lineup. My first question is whether the Kode 80 can provide me the same floating experience in marginal (18kts) conditions on a 5.3 as the EVO 80 does, or how does this compare. Iíve tried a KODE 80 in good 4.7 conditions, and it jumps, wavesail better than the EVO (at least this is my opinion, EVO is a great board too, I believe in the end this is up the personal preferences), also in cross-onshore waves I felt that is better, I just wonder whether it can keep me out sailing when the EVO does? This will be my biggest board.

As many times I felt my EVO 80 too big in bump and jump conditions, Iím considering buying a smaller Kode 74 for 3.7-4.2 even 4.7 weather Ė you think they are too close or they make a perfect pair? For the small Kode Iím thinking on the wood or technora version, which one is stronger? I feel that the 68 would be too small, maybe I should pair it with an EVO 70?

One last question - should I wait for the 2010 Kodes, any big known differences?

Thanks in advance.
matyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, Kode vs EVO once on a wave is VERY much a matter of personal preference allthough in 4.7 conditions it is a bit of an unfair advantage to compare the E80 and K80 since in fact, the E80 IS a much bigger board. K80 vs E75 would have been more fair and given the EVO a better chance to show its strengths.

In fact, EVOs can be seems as very thin boards. If you choose them "normal" in volume you gain early planing and performance in slow waves, but loose out in when powered up. Since they also schlogg much better than their volume indicates, you can safely go down a step if you're looking for an all round board.

But to go back to your questions: No a Kode 80 will feel smaller and not at all act as floaty as an EVO 80. You pretty much need to go to a Kode 86 to get comparable light wind comfort. The Kode 80 works very nicely with a 5.3 though. Planes early, goes up wind well and so. But for "floating" the EVO 80 win hands down. And this carrise over to riding small and powerless waves, particularly in on/cross on too.

But if you ride mostly powered up, I think a Kode 80 can be a good idea, then combined with a Kode 68 for high wind duties. The 74 is to close, and in fact, allready the Kode 80 is very good in high wind. But the 68 is very small for you and if you are looking for a quiver, maybe the Kode 80 is a to "middle" type of board (Kode 86+74 would meybe be more practical). En option would be Kode 80 and EVO 70. The EVO 70 has a similar range as the Kode 74, but would offer a different style which I personally feel is VERY good in for example very windy conditions couple with smaller waves where you can make good use of the extra turnability of the EVO. A small EVO like the 70 for you is something totally different when it comes to feel and agility that a big one like the 80. And the EVO 70 is a magic shape.

Another option, and a very valid one, would be to keep your EVO 80 for light and "slow" days. Few boards do the float and ride thing so well. Then, if you like to explote the sharper Kode feel, get Kode 74 as a complement. The Kode 74 is not so much smaller than the 80 you tried and very effective with a 5.0. Even at your weight, it will work super well with 4.7 also in onshore. Then you can use the Kode 74 when powered up (and even powered up 5.3 would work) and the EVO when underpowered (down to 4.7 say). The Kode 74 would be small enough for 3.7 so you would have a great package with both a big range and a healthy overlap. An EVO 70 would of course do the same job, but with EVO flair, vert and style insted of Kode power, precisions and agility.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Construction: Not much difference in strength overall, but I would go for wood. 2010: to early to say, but lets put it like this: The eventual changes will not be worth the months of waiting which is better spent having great fun on the 09-board.

Last edited by Ola_H; 25th June 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 27th June 2009, 01:06 AM   #4
matyix

Ola,

Thanks a lot for the extensive answer, very helpful. A final question - which one would you consider using in DTL conditions?
Half of my time I sail is cross on/4.7 or stronger winds (canarias), but I go to CV and Mauritius as well, where most of the time is 5.2 weather but powerful waves. In big waves I'd rather use small boards, but you need to get up to the point.
It's only me who lives in the impression that for DTL Kode is better (as far as I remember this year in Cabo Verde all the Starboard riders were using Kode or ET, even Scotty wasn't using the EVO).

Look forward reading your answer.

Last edited by matyix; 27th June 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 29th June 2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

I think for Cabo Verde, the Kode 80 is the best option. But it is not so because the EVOs would not work but rather because what I wrote in the beginning - EVOs are low volume for their size. And at a place like CV most people would like some bonus volume.

But I remember talking to Scotty about this just after the first CV event. He had taken the Kode (then Acid) 80 for the above reasons, but ended up regretting it, missing the EVO feel.

But as mentioned, the Kode 80 will not be as good in the light wind stuff at home. And EVO 80 will be to wide/big for CV. And Kode 74 to sinky. So compromises have to be made.

One thing to add though, is that even in rather extreme schlogging conditions, there is much more to it than volume. I schlogg pretty much as good on my ET70 as on my Kode 80. The ET is so amazingly stable and feels much bigger than the 72 liter is it, while the Kode is a bit wiggle, like all similar style boards. At my 70 kilos I'm super confident on the ET70 even when there is pretty much no wind. MUCH more so than on the Kode 74 or even EVO 70. But these things also change with weight. For you the ET70 will surely be to sinky.

So combining it all it gets difficult. ET 80 maybe.... but that would mean you would probably still want something smaller for the super windy days which means two new boards. But the ET 80 for me seems like the best combo of light wind performance at home and dtl performance at CV in one board.

But ET is also the most un tried card for you. One odd option would be to sacrifice a bit of super high wind performance and get the Kode 80 and keep the EVO 80. Sounds strange but makes sense They are in practice CLEARLY once "size" apart. You would then compromise a bit of high wind performance compared to getting a K74, but it would be far from a disaster. In all but the highest winds, rigging a bit smaller will smooth things out also on the K80.

What do you think? If the E80 turns out redundant, you can always either get by on one board or add what you then feel would be an appropriate partner.

BTW. If the ET option sounds tempting, you might wanna check back in a few days.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:32 PM   #6
matyix

Thanks again Ola,

ET is indeed an extremely nice board in waves. I've tried the ET74 at it was just amazing, the way how easy turns vertical on the face; it was like i was riding on rails (literary), however I don't consider buying one, I like the single fin feeling as well, however requires more commitment.

Considering all the input I've got from you I probably have two realistic options

1. Keep my current EVO 80 for a while and have a Kode 74
2. Have a Kode 80 and an EVO 70 (I do like the EVO feeling, so Scotty is not alone in this - however I like the way how easily the Kode jumps);

Another option is to get rid of a few kilos , probably I can get down to 78 from 80, not too much, though... and change my NP Combat's to a much lighter S1's.

Thanks again for your time, it was very helpful.