Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th July 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
ntm06

Default New wave quier

Hi experts.

I am an advanced dansih wave sailer, mostly sailing Klitm°ller/Hanstholm on the good days, that means 5,3m2 weather and smaller. Every winther I am in South Africa for about a month of sailing. My focus is on waveridding. My weight is 80 kg.
Right now a have a 2006 Acid 73, whcich I love and an 2008 Evo 75 which I do not like. The 2 boards require very diffrent technik and I find the EVO very slow and not very quick to plane. Therefore I only use the EVO on the less windy days and only with 5,3. Because I do not like the EVO so much I tend to skip the 5,3 days, and wait for 4,7 or smaller days.....
I am looking for a 2 board quier that suits my sailing, I tend to go for small board an d sail sails, therefore I am thinking QUAD 66/76. Or maybe KODE 68/QUAD 76.
My trip to South Africa is very important for me, therefore the small KODE for the big down the line days down there, bur will it be to small for me or will the QUAD handle fast down the line as well??

Hope anybody can help, cause I am realy confused, with alle the diffrent kind of boards these days..

Thank you in forward

Nikolaj
ntm06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

A difficult question. FOr the Small bord I think Quad 76 or even 81 will probably work great. To and light wind float, you might wanna go with the 81. Dimensions are very similar. The 81 has a bit more drawn out outline which might even be good for fast waves in SA. I dont think you will feel its too big. But the 76 is of course very nice too, with a more compact feel. And even the 76 wil surely get you going earlier and feel more reactive than the EVO 75.

The smaller quads are EVO based, so if you don't like EVOs that it's its not certain you will like them alltough they do feel a bit different. And the 66/70 EVOs to me always felt faster and more reactive than the 75 you have. And the Acid 73 you have was actually a tweak of the EVO 70 shape from the start so...

But if you want to play more safe, the Kodes are also awesome boards. I do think the 68 will be a bit small. At 80 kilos I'm sure the 74 will handle both high wind and fast waves. Personally I think the current generation 74 is much better when the going gets tough, than the Acid 73 you have now. So unless you feel the A73 is totally too big I think the Kode 74 is the natural successor.

If you end up going for a small quad also, I can't really say which size since I have not tested the in high winds yet. The 71 should normally suffice, but the 66 will definitely feel even more reactive at high speed and with the extra fin drive of the quads, I think it will carry your weight better than a comparable single fin (aka EVO 66) would provided you sail where you can keep the speed up.

Where do you sail and when do you need to order? The best thing would surely be to demo one.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 01:24 PM   #3
ntm06

Hi Ola H!

Hoped you could be the man to help me....

The point is that, I do like exactly the feel of the ACID 73, which is a combination of an EVO and a classic wave shape, as you say.
Therefore I am allways searching for that feel in every new board I try, but have not found it yet.
For me it is super fast on the plane even with 4,7 in less wind, super control - steady as a rock even i choppy conditions and handles big and super fast waves with good control. Therefore it is a calsssic when I am sailing Southafrica. Down there it is big drawn out turns and you are driven more by the speed of the wave than the wind and the acid is perfect for that.

Back home in Hanstholm it is still good on the plane and good control, but with lees speed from the waves and smaller crappy waves you need to turn tighter and are more driven by the wind. Here I am thinking that a quad qould be an advantage over the Acid/Kode.

Through that last years I have tried a lot of diffrent Starboards. 2005 I had EVO 70 and EVO 80, which I liked, but felt they were to slow for southAfrica, 2006 I had all the Acids, but only liked the 73, which have been my all time favorit since. 2007/2008 I kept that Acid and had EVO 75/80 as big board.

So right now I am thinking kode 74 - South Africa board (hope It stille has that EVO/Classic feel) and quad 81 for 5,3/4,7 in Denmark and then use the kode for 4,3/3,7.
On the other hand, will I then still stand with to boards with a complete diffrent feel? Then I must be QUAD 81/71 if I shall stick with one concept.
The soultion must be to get a test ride on a quad 71, before order.....

Thank you again

Nikolaj
ntm06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, I see. I'm pretty sure you will not be disappointed with the Kode 74 compared to the Acid 73. It has a slightly different feel to it, but overall I think it is just plain better. Even more compact and turny, amazing stability on the rail and more snappy off the top than earlier Acids too.

But as you say, you will still have to live with two different characters if you go with the small Kode. There are good and bad things about that. One one hand you will not be as in tune with the boards and always have to slightly adjust when changing. But on the other hand I think riding different boards open up for learning to approach the wave in different ways. You might get a bit stuck when only sailing one style.

And with the Kode 74 and Quad 81 (or 76) you will in practice have a lot of overlap. At your weight the 81 will easily handle 4.7 and in some conditions 4.3. And the Kode 74 will easily handle 4.7 and work with powered up 5.3 even at your weight. So there will be many days when you can change between them and simply learn to change which mean the transition will eventually be automatic.

But if you end up liking the Quad 71 that will maybe be best overall. I hope you'll find an opportunity to try. If you happen to do some sailing in south/west Sweden, drop me a line With some (a lot) of luck we may be able to team up. Unfortunately I don't have a Klitm÷ller trip planned for this year.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote