Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th July 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Charlie360

Red face Getting more speed out of my Isonic 96 & 5.8

Hi All, I'm becoming a little frustrated with my I96 & 5.8 combinaton. I use the 96 with 2 sails mainly a Neil Pryde RS:Racing 5.8 and an RSR Evo I 6.7, I tend to use the supplied Drake 34 and 38 fins (and perhaps this is the limiting factor - aswell as me!) However I have seen GPS speeds of 36.8Kts with the 6.7 and the smaller fin, but with the 5.8 I'm struggling to get it over 35kts even when fully powered - it feels faster than the 6.7 but the GPS says it's not. I'm nearly always sailing in open sea conditions so it may be that the sea state gets too bumpy with the smaller sail/board combination as the breeze gets above 30kts - however I would appreciate a few pointers on improving this from the experts - I'm guessing a couple of new fins would probably help too?
Charlie360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie360 View Post
Hi All, I'm becoming a little frustrated with my I96 & 5.8 combinaton. I use the 96 with 2 sails mainly a Neil Pryde RS:Racing 5.8 and an RSR Evo I 6.7, I tend to use the supplied Drake 34 and 38 fins (and perhaps this is the limiting factor - aswell as me!) However I have seen GPS speeds of 36.8Kts with the 6.7 and the smaller fin, but with the 5.8 I'm struggling to get it over 35kts even when fully powered - it feels faster than the 6.7 but the GPS says it's not. I'm nearly always sailing in open sea conditions so it may be that the sea state gets too bumpy with the smaller sail/board combination as the breeze gets above 30kts - however I would appreciate a few pointers on improving this from the experts - I'm guessing a couple of new fins would probably help too?
Hi Charlie, I am not too surprised that the I96 is faster with the 6.7, my CA 58 is much better balanced with its optimal size (6.6) than with the 5.5 I happen to use when I am too lazy to rig up. In my case it is clear that a 6.6, is giving the board the drive it needs while the 5.5, or even a 6.0, makes the board more unstable and somewhat bouncy especially in chop.

I think to go faster you need a smaller board and/or a different location.

Last edited by davide; 25th August 2009 at 01:35 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
dan e

Charlie,

Change your fins. Waste of time tuning with the stock fins. Spend your time wisely w/ better fins.

Dan
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Charlie360

I was thinking of buying a couple of Deboichet fins, perhaps a 32 cm SL2 and a 38 SL4 - however whilst I can believe these would deliver improvements, having never seen one and Knowing the stock fins are similar designs I don't understand why they are so much better other than flex and foil thickness?!
Old 26th July 2009, 12:37 AM   #5
dan e

Charlie,

The difference in the production fin and a deb fin is like day and night. Can't even compare both. They may look similar but they are uncomparable underfunction while sailing.

You don't have to be a pwa windsurfer to be able to tell the difference. The difference is huge.

Select hydrofoils also makes excellent fins. They have a good website and an accurate fin selector. Get the Elite SO9. Maybe the 31/35cm for the IS96

I think for deb fins 38cm and under, the SL4 (similar shape to the SO9) would be a better choice.
You might want to try the SL4 36cm for the IS96. The SL4 38cm may be better suited for the IS101/ 6.7m

If your set up is not at the recommended positions (foot strap, mastrack) or close to it, you will be able to put it there when you upgrade your fins.

Also all these new equipment are developed with the testers using a waist harness and harness line length of about 28-30". So this is another good starting point and another time saver to get dialed in. Its worth looking into.

I wasted one season trying to get dialed in with the stock fins. I totally regret it. What a waste of time and effort.

Dan

Last edited by dan e; 26th July 2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 26th July 2009, 06:19 AM   #6
MartinJE

Hi - check out C3 Venoms - great fins & may be better price-wise and availability

http://www.c3-fins.com/C3_web/home.html

Spot on size advice thro' the forum ...
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Charlie360

Hi All - A bit of a delay, I have bought a Deb SL2 34 and an SL4 40, which I hope to share between my Is96 and 111, however when comparing the deb fins to the original drake fins, they are so similar (rake almost identical, profile pretty much the same, plan shape very similar, chord depth same, and if anything the drake fins are stiffer than the Debs - perhaps that's the advantage, having a bit of twist!?)
Although I haven't sailed with them yet (hopefull there'll be enough wind this afternoon!) I'm hoping they do feel significantly better, but just comparing them I'm worried that they won't be the improvement I'm after!
I'm also toying with the idea of changing my current Isonics to an 86, 101 and possibly 121 (or keep the 111 and just get an 86 & 101?) - for the sails I have which are NP:RS 5.8, 6.7, 7.8 & 9 - would they be a better match (I'm 80Kg) my only issue is that I often sail in an area with gusty offshore conditions and strong tides which means that occasionally the volume of the 96 is welcome when trying to get home!
Old 12th October 2009, 10:26 PM   #8
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie360 View Post
I'm also toying with the idea of changing my current Isonics to an 86, 101 and possibly 121 (or keep the 111 and just get an 86 & 101?) - for the sails I have which are NP:RS 5.8, 6.7, 7.8 & 9 - would they be a better match (I'm 80Kg) my only issue is that I often sail in an area with gusty offshore conditions and strong tides which means that occasionally the volume of the 96 is welcome when trying to get home!
What about getting instead a Is-131, you have the sail for it ... Is-96+Is-111+Is-131 and if you really want a high-high-wind slalom get a Is-86 slim.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Charlie360

To be honest, I only get a limited amount of time windsurfing these days and therefore don't tend to go out on the water very often in 9M conditions, so I'm not sure how much use a 121/131 would get, my current 160 litre AHD gets used maybe twice a year, so I think I'd prefer the smaller board - I'm leaning towards an 86, for a number of reasons, I think I could still uphaul it and therefore just about get home in unfavourable conditions, I think it would suit the 5.8 sizedsails well, I do much of my sailing in open sea conditions, so although I'd still like a speed board, I'm not really sure they'd be as suitable as a small slalom board, however I maybe wrong, I also can't help but wonder whether it would feel a little close in size to my 96? I was potentially looking at a 2009 model year 86 - is there a significant difference between this and the 2010 board (there isn't much mention of changes to this on the site, just the 94 and the slim 86)
Old 12th October 2009, 03:21 AM   #10
dan e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJE View Post
Hi - check out C3 Venoms - great fins & may be better price-wise and availability

http://www.c3-fins.com/C3_web/home.html

Spot on size advice thro' the forum ...
I have a quiver of C3 fins. They are good but I like the Select better.

Dan