Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th August 2009, 06:03 PM   #1
St Paul

Default Kombat 122

Hi

I have had about 10hrs of instruction at Roses (Spain) and at the end was able to tack (sortof) & gybe (sortof) and had a go with a harness. Now i'm looking to buy my own board at a local store in Leucate. My weight is 75kg and they have a 2nd hand Kombat 122 which they have recommended. Do you think this board is suitable for my level. They will let me try before I buy. Winds here are pretty good here (Leucate Plage, La Franqui) coming off the Pyrennes and blow quite hard.

Thanks

Gary
St Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Floyd

Wink

Hi Gary

I`m not in team but I know the area you mention very well. The winds are more than pretty good ; when it blows, it blows hard so bearing this in mind (and your weight) I think the 122 is perhaps on big side. (My biggest board down there is 109 and I`m 103k).Most locals dont carry much bigger than 5.4 sails !!!(even in their cars)
Other good thing about Leucate area is you can sail on the Etang to gain confidance and then make the hop over to sea.(Its one of few places where wind is equally as strong (if not stronger) on the Etang than on the sea.(Le Lydia is perfect for learning short board techniques and there is literally acres of space and shallow water; its near the cable water ski zone) (Even swell in Tromantane winds) Again its one of few sailing venues where absoloute beginners rub shoulders with flat water loopers !!!

Try Neway at Port Leucate; pretty sure they`ll let you demo kit .(or hire) If they wont one of shops nearby will. (There`s 3 next to each other, Chinook have loads of second hand kit which they will buy back off you. (for less than you paid though !!!) There`s plenty of scope for trying kit before purchasing that special bit of kit.

I`d recommend between 100 and 110 litres (62 to 65 wide) You will uphaul these and boards that size stand a much better chance of coping when it blows.(Like it will be doing down there this autumn) kombat 106 ??? Kode 106 or bigger freestyle waves.(RRD 110,JP FSW 109) Try and borrow one.

At your weight there are virtually no days(around Leucate) when kombat 122 would be "THE" board of choice.(It tends to blow hard or not at all!) If you get a good 105 (ish) board you could keep it for good ; just add another under it.(eventually)

I`d definitely go as small as is possible.

Sorry if its mixed you up more !!!

Good sailing.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
St Paul

Default Kombat 122

Hi Floyd

Thanks for that. The size they recommended just seemed to contradict the Mistral school in Roses so a 3rd opinion most welcome. Chinook is where I have the demo kit from. I have bought kitesurfing gear from them and they don't seem to be the sort of outfit that would 'fob' you off with an unsuitable setup. Forecast is good for tomorrow morning so will hopefully give it a go. I have had a go on the Teleski, can't remember seeing many windsurfers but will drive up there for a look. Shallow water sounds good.

Also have the Barrage D'Agly up near where we live, probably pretty gusty and you have to keep your eye out for water bombers charging down the axis (or so the sign says) but once I get a bit more experience it could be manageable.

Thanks again.

Gary
St Paul is offline   Reply With Quote