Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 15th August 2009, 11:08 PM   #1
sailpower

Send a message via MSN to sailpower
Default quad fin !!??

I really wonder:

Why Quad 66, 71, 81 and 86 have Quad 16 x 2 + Quad 11 x2 and why quad 76 have Quad 15 x 2 + Quad 12 x2.

has quad 76 got so many specific features?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I guess the 76 just came out better with that fin combo in testing. I've used the 76 (as well as other sizes) with both 16/11 and 15/12 (and 15/11 to for that matter) and in th kind of soft conditions I've sailed them in all combos have worked well. SO I guess you need faster waves and/or more time to get into the subtle details that differ the two setups.

But I'm gonna ask Scotty to comment. He's the one that did the testing.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I heard from Scotty he's out in the jungle with a bad connection, so later...

But I sailed the 76 with both 15/12 and 16/11 the other day and both setups worked really well. If anything, the 16/11 seemed to go upwind and plane up just a bit better at the price of bit less ease in setting up the top turn. The 76 is quite "big for its size" already, so maybe the 15 front fins are there to make it initiate turn easier and the 12 rear fins to keep some drive with this shorter shape. But again, we're talking subtleties here.
Old 19th August 2009, 06:18 AM   #4
sailpower

Thank you for your answers Ola

I wait my quad 81 wc and the wind.... I hope that I would not be disappointed :-)
Old 25th August 2009, 11:12 PM   #5
sailpower

Just receveid my Q81 at the end of last week. Shape is nice and very fluid. My fu#)*/ job to test it tomorow in perfect conditions but I will be patient :-).

Only one bad point there are no supplied FCS screw driver. It costs 2 but It would be many of to have one of it with accessories

Always not able to plug them on my board because in france it's metric key :-)
Old 25th August 2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

I agree on the FCS key. The Starboard SUPs come with them, so it would be easy to include them with the Quads too. Anyway, a 2.5mm metric will do, I believe, so its not that hard to find even in Europe.
When the fcs fins are new, the can work loose a bit, so after a short session you might have to go in to tighten them. After my first session they have stayed in place.
Old 26th August 2009, 05:45 PM   #7
sailpower

Thanks for information Ola, I Had try with my 2.5mm key but I was bad (but it's a low cost key :-)). I will go buy a new one !
Old 27th August 2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm sorry, but the information I gave was incorrect. I tried with a 2.5mm key today and it will not work. It's strange because I remember using a regular bit from my stash once when I didn't find my FCS key, but when I think more closely it might have been one if the torx keys that saved me. So, I guess you have to find the right inch bit or buy a dedicated one. But again, I promise to forward the message about having them included. I suspect it is just by some mistake that it is not already done.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:29 PM   #9
sailpower

I have bought it a new one 2.5 mm key and it will not work too. I have find a solution! I have file the key to adjust to the fcs plug. It's really idiot to be obliged to do this just for a 2€ key :-). (Thanks english and the inch system too lol lol)
I buy a fcs one when I could go to the surfshop.

Last edited by sailpower; 27th August 2009 at 09:41 PM.