Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th August 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
mcasaldaliga

Default details on new Phantom320 Carbon? Best of allwind race/fun compromise

Hi Starboard team

When will you have more details (volume,weight) of the carbon version of new 320 Phantom race?

To every body:
Could this be best of the much-discussed hybrid trend?

Depending on the final planning threshold with a powerful 9.5m2 rig and fast jibe attitude this could be the best compromise for an ALL WIND course race/fun board.

Some time ago I was thinking of buying an hybrid board, looking for a good compromise on subplaning and closest_to_shortboard_feel in planing winds (the "real fun" part for me). But for all I read, all attempts were (with the exception of Bic Hybrid) too biased to formula and were really dumb in light wind. I mean, the railing upwind sensation of a longboard in light winds, it's also a real pleasure.
The hybrid trend hasn't got a wide spread, may be because the right spot was not found.

Now I got a Kona ONE, which I am really happy with it, but it's a pitty that there's not a lighter version (1-2kt earlier planning?) and no racing equipment (beating straps, adj. mast track ... ) so ... still looking for "my board"?

I clearly know the limitations of a single compromise board, but I like to think about how would it be the best one (in the above sense), and if my view are shared by others.

Many thanks and good winds to all

Marc
mcasaldaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Marc,

The Phantom Race 320 is in my opinion the best combination of this 2 Worlds (Planning and non planning). Yes it will be not as good as the 380 in non planning but the closest one compare to all the Hyubrid that exist on the market. In planning this board will be more enjoy than the Phantom Race 380 with better sensation reaching, speed, jibbing, etc.

This board was just mastering last week, so will be ready in some months on the market.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Andy

Hi Marc

I agree with your thinking on most Hydrid boards. However I have a Starboard Hybrid Race. It does not have quite the non planning performance of a "proper" raceboard but is still capable of being railed upwind and points pretty high. Once planning it's far more fun than a raceboard ( I owned Megacats and Equipes in the past). I am waiting to see if the new 320 is any better, if so I may change. Hybrids are so much easier to handle on land but still give some light wind fun. I also have a F-type 158. The Hybrid Race is far better when not planning. I have sailed the Kona and liked it but it's not nearly as lively as the Hybrid Race or as fast when maxed out.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
tonymatta

Hi Remi

It seems the Australian distributor has some 320 boards for sale. Would these be the Tufskin version? If so, are they any different to last year's Phantom? coloring? weight? dimensions? etc.
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi Remi,

My situation looks like the one of Andy and my feelings about the hybrids vs the old raceboards are simular. I have a Hybrid Formula and the FF-158 that looks like the F-type for lightwind conditions and despite the fact that my Hybrid Formula doesn't have very much hours on the water (just as al my other *boards due to work, family and kids) the board is starting to crack and I'm thinking off changing it with the 2010 tuffskin Phantom 320. I still love the total package the Hybrid Formula is giving me.

What are the differances between a tuffskin Hybrid Formula vs tuffskin Phantom 320?

- can I still use 11 meter racesail ( Hybrid formula with a 70 cm or the stock 60 cm fin) in planning and non planing mode?
- will It be as fast, lively and controlable in full (sometimes over)powered planning mode?
- as stable (80+ vs 70 cm width) learning platform for the kids?
- Phantom 320 beter in non planning upwind raceboard mode?
- Tuffskin Phantom 320 lighter?
- More durable tuffskin(2010 vs 2006)?

Greetz,

Albert
Old 30th August 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
mcasaldaliga

Hi Remi and all, thanks for your answer

I am happy that Starboard has not forget this market niche, that of a all wind performance and fun board. I see I'm not the only one interested in this single board compromise

Now let's see how good it is this Phantom 320 Carbon. ;-)

Please, share with us the detailed info on this 320 version as soon as you have them. Also details for comparison in several points with 380 Phanton will be appreciate it. If only cares upwind/downwind performance the comparison is clear but when one comes to reaching speed is there a real difference?
Unfortunately it's almost impossible to test this boards before buying and even less to compare, so any information or feeling is welcomed.

Many thanks in advances and best regards

Marc
mcasaldaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Unregistered

I can easily believe the phantom 320 beats other hybrids in non planning conditions, mainly due to it's narrower width. Actually it looks more a junior raceboard, and nothing wrong with that. But I can't see it going as well upwind on the fin the way the 80cm hybrids do. To me that defines a true hybrid, I can get the fun of railing in the lulls and fly the fin formula style in the gusts. Often even if I had both types of boards (major hassle that would be) the variable wind would make it hard to call which to use. With a hybrid I can switch in seconds. Ok it's not as fast in either case , but it has a similar feel to both - in one package. Now we just need some high modulus carbon technology to get them do to 11/12 kgs....
Old 27th September 2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Albert,

The new Phantom Race 320 is a smaller version of the 380. This board is way better in light winds compare to the Hybrid Formula and more fun than the 380 in planning mode.
You will get better performances with 9,5mē on this board and also more fun than a 11mē
For the fin I recommand you not go over 50, 70 is way too much for this board.

Hope this help

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote