Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 2nd September 2009, 11:38 PM   #1
KTM450EXC

Default Larger sail for my Medium Rio

I currently have a tushy 5.5m express on my Rio and am looking for a larger sail just to get a little more performance particularly on light wind days.

What would you recommend? Like the express it must be easy to rig....

many thx
Matt
KTM450EXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Ken

Matt,

What size Rio do you have and how much do you weigh? How are skills? Tack, jibe, planing, harness, foot straps, beach start, water start?

Generally, going up one meter (6.5) is a reasonable step up. If you are a big guy, then a 7.0 could be an option. A lot depends on how committed you are to windsurfing as well as how far you want to streatch your $. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a good 6.5 no cam sail that will fit your mast and boom. What is the length of your mast and boom? At some point, bigger sails will require longer masts and booms.

Roger can give you a more detailed answer if you provide a little more information.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
KTM450EXC

Default Rio

Ken Hi, my Rio is a 2009 Medium. Iam 6FT and about 14stone ( I think concerts into 85Kgs).

Iam very new to the sport and am practising the t+g's......Have not yet engaged with harness or footstraps...

A few fellow surfers seem to recommend the Tushy Thunderbird although these are like rocking horse $hite to get hold of secondhand...Was looking at either a 6.6 or a 7.5 BUT certainly do not want to purchase anymore than this until my basics are better.....

Am I talking nonsnese about large sail...Please feel free to say whatever...

Cheers
Matt
Old 4th September 2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Ken

Matt,

I don't know much about Tushingham Thunderbird sails, but I glanced at the internet and from what I see, they appear to be good freeride sails. Finding a used one should be your goal. At your stage of learning, I think the 6.5 should be your next purchase, but you might also consider a 6.8 or 7.0 given your weigh. You will need a 460 cm mast for the 6.5, so I hope you have one. If not, go for a used 460 carbon mast (40-80% carbon). No reason you can't perfect your tacks and jibes with the 5.5 sail. When you go out, before crusing, do 10 tacks and 10 jibes first with only 10 seconds in between each one. The more you do, the quicker you learn.

If you keep at the windsurfing, your next step after the 6.5 may be to go up to a 7.5 sail, hopefully one that would fit on a 460 mast. You will also be looking for a smaller board sometime soon, one without a dagger board and about 120 to 140 liters. I wouldn't go for the board until you can consistently make tacks and jibes (90% of the time) and are comfortable in a harness and the foot straps.

The harness and foot straps will be needed when you start planing (dagger board up), but it will take at least 15-17 knots (I am guessing at this) to plane on your 5.5. That's where the 6.5 will help - it will get you planing in less wind.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th September 2009, 04:20 AM   #5
KTM450EXC

Ken , love the tip on 10 T+G's..thats really great...I guess you call it intensive learning..BUT thats great as right now I'm real keen to progress ( probably more mentally than time allows...nevertheless!)

I currently have a 45% 430 mast so will look to find 460 with possibly higher carbon level as these are easier to source.

I really hope the need for a smaller board is a long way off....Funnily enough one of the guys who holds the record on the lake of 39 knots has a Rio ( for his daughter) and he claims he get more fun from it than anything else. Right now I'm trying to get as much time before waether really chills ( I'm afraid I'm warm blooded).

keep up the great input as it is extremly valid and personally appreciated! will update as to what I get my mitts on!

Cheers
Matt
Old 4th September 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Matt,
Since you are findling alot of Tushingham Sails, I take it you are somewhere in/around the UK, right?
Tushingham T-Bird No Cam sails are pretty good and Ken has given you some really good advice here.
Look for a 6.5 m2 as your next sail (check the closeouts, at the end of the season, as you can make some really good deals) and get a 460 mast (higher carbon is better as weight begins to become a factor in 460 cm masts).
Then look for a 7.5 and eventually (if you have really light winds) perhaps an 8.5 and a
490 mast.
As Ken suggests, if you have really light winds (< F4 Bft) (11-16 knots) then a 7.0 might be a better call for a fellow your size on the '09 Rio M.
5.5/7.0/8.5 T Birds would make you a very wide range, easy to rig quiver.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 4th September 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 02:12 PM   #7
KTM450EXC

Roger/ Ken many thx for the advice.....will look for a 6.5M/ 460mast..the wind ( according to wind guru is tupically 12Knots although sometimes a little gusty.

If a good deal falls on a 7M then I might get that instead.

Roger, correct I'm in the UK hence the strong brand presence..

Rgds
Max
Old 29th December 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Ken

Thanks Roger for the Arrogsgab update. Some folks need to get a life.

By the way, I hope that I am not stepping on any one's toes when I jump in with a response on the "school or team" forums. I am certainly not part of the team, but I enjoy helping when I can.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ken,
Since I'm back working for the Navy full time, I appreciate your support.
Sometimes I'll contradict what you have to say, but you are welcome to do the
same as our experiences and opinions are going to be a bit different.
It's good to have someone more into racing here on the school forum.
My orientation (since I quit racing about 7 or 8 years ago) has focused on
beginners and teaching.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Ken

Roger,

Thanks for the feedback. An opinion is just that, it may or may not be taken. In windsurfing, there is frequently more than one way to achieve a goal, so those seeking information should be willing to consider the various opinions/suggestions and find what works best for them.

I recall you saying something about your work in the Navy, but I don't remember the details. Time permitting and if appropriate, sharing your work with us on the forum would be interesting.

Thanks,

Ken