Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th November 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
kenck8

Default Improve performance with new fin?

I am using the Carve 122, 06 with my 7.5m GTX. I weight 80kg. Will I get a significant improvement by replacing my existing fin with G10 fin such as the Lessacher Slalom Duo Cut 42cm fin?
I am looking for early planing and speed. But still, I don't want to have
impact on turning.
kenck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 11:22 PM   #2
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld
Default RE: Improve performance with new fin?

The MFC liquids are very nice freerace/freeride fins. They have very good potential, also in the lower wind range, but the manouvrability remains very well. These fins you have in the range 28 cm up to more than 50 cm. I have used them a lot in the past. A +- 40 cm may be very nice size: enough area for early planing and going on in windlulls and small enough not to get out of control soon. The speedpotential of these fins is really ok and jibing is easy!
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 02:59 AM   #3
PG

I am sure you can get some preformance enhancement from a new fin. The Lessacher is a very good fin, but they sail VERY big (lots of power). The 42 cm Slalom duo is probably equivalent to something like a 46-48 cm Curtis SR-6b. This sounds very big for your C122 unless the only criteria is marginal planning.
A typical slalom fin (like the SR-6b) in 40-42 cm range might make sense with your 7.5, but that would probably translate to a Lessacher 36 cm (really hard to say exactly...)
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 03:26 AM   #4
hans kleingeld

For good overall performance including jibing I think you better can surf your Carve 122 with a good freeride fin. Using a pure slalom fin will maybe add little more speed under certain circumstances, but a good freeride fun will definitely give more fun overall!
Old 19th November 2006, 07:08 AM   #5
steveC

From a practical standpoint, I understand what PG is saying. Different fin designers must sometimes be viewed under different spotlights. I have some Lessacher fins, so I grasp what's being offered in commentary here.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 12:23 PM   #6
hans kleingeld

I just want to emphasize that for low wind performance and manouvrability there allways be a better solution with a freeride fin than with a slalom fin, especially for a carve. I surfed a lot of freeride, slalom and weedfins, but for freeriding a pure freeride fin gives the most fun. I certainly am not claiming to say that the Lessacher slalom fin won't be the right choice