Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th September 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
RadiantX

Default Kode86 - fin range

I have a 2009 Kode86 which came with a 25cm Drake fin. I normally use either a 5.5m or 6m sail with this board in bump & jump/freeride conditions but I find I'm constantly spinning out and have trouble sailing upwind. Could be poor technique related but after doing some research on fin sizes it was suggested a 30ish cm fin would suit these sails better. However, when I look at the specs. on the Kode86 I see the max fin range is up to 26cm only. Max sail size 6m.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Is this only a rough guide and therefore a 30cm fin would be fine, or are the documented specs. a fairly accurate guide and therefore the 25cm supplied should be fine for these sail sizes?

I'm currently looking at either the MFC freewave or Select bump & Jump in about 30cm. Any thoughts on these fins?

Thanks!
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Screamer

Hi RadiantX

I've tried several fins on several Kombats, haven't sailed the Kode but it should be close enough. You need to change both fin size (to a bit bigger) but what's more important, a different fin type. 30 is too big no doubt, but max fin of 26 sounds too small to me - for a 6m sail. I've found for freeriding with 5.5/6.0, a fin of about 28 works great. I can recommend Drake Crossover and especially Select Freestylewave (which is excellent and comes in 27/29 sizes, if you're lighter go for 27, if you're heavy than 29).

And when it all starts to get out of control, go back to Drake 25 (just easier on the back foot pressure) - you may like it fully powered in very lumpy water.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

If you want tro trim the Kode 86 more for freeride you can for sure get bigger, stiffer and more upright fin like a Drake Crossover. 30cm is rather big though. It's possible if you want it, but int the end there is a risk it will rather promote bad technique and be unnecessarily difficult in jibes. I think max 28, maybe even smaller since a 26cm Drake Crossover will already be much more powerful than the 25cm Drake Natural.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
RadiantX

Thank you very much to both of you!

I probably should have mentioned my details. Competent rider, 81kg's. I'm assuming 80kg's is about average or a little over, but not on the heavy side?

One more question regarding Drake fins - is there a web address?

Thanks again.
Old 15th September 2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Screamer

The address used to be
http://www.drake-windsurfing.com/
But it doesn't work for several months already. You can see them here:
http://www.gunsails.co.uk/en/fins.htm
Drake Crossover 26/28 is comparable to a Select fsw 27/29, since the Select has rather small surface area for a given depth. If you want max alround range go for the smaller suggested. If you're after max power and upwind with a 6.0 then the larger.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:27 AM   #6
RadiantX

Thanks screamer!

The Drake Crossover in 28cm sounds good. I like Select fins also but find they often don't fit well in the fin box and require sanding (I have a few for my Futura), which might be hard to do for a US box I'm assuming if the fit isn't right?

Thanks again for all the help all, much appreciated!
Old 15th September 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Tony
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
The address used to be
http://www.drake-windsurfing.com/
But it doesn't work for several months already. You can see them here:
http://www.gunsails.co.uk/en/fins.htm
Drake Crossover 26/28 is comparable to a Select fsw 27/29, since the Select has rather small surface area for a given depth. If you want max alround range go for the smaller suggested. If you're after max power and upwind with a 6.0 then the larger.
Thanks Screamer to point out the error, I've fixed it already. It should be online right now.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Screamer

Tony
If you're in charge for maintaining that site, link for Crossover fin isn't working (spec/sizes).
Old 16th September 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
RadiantX

Just been informed Drake fins are not available in Australia as a separate item. So it looks as though the Drake Crossover is not an option anyway which is a pity. Will have to go with the Select FSW.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:20 AM   #10
romomac

RadiantX: I have had the same question for a while now. How did you resolve the fin issue? I actually tried a 30cm...then afterwards noticed the 26cm limit. I am surprised at how slow the board is, even with prime-time 5.3 m sail....Is it just me? I can't seem to dial-in the Kode.
romomac is offline   Reply With Quote