Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th October 2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Don

Default Turning the Serenity

Hi,
I have been away for a while. I am now back in Fla and sailing my Serenity. I love the
board in about 10 mph of wind. I however cannot seem to jibe the board. I get directly
downwind and fall off every time. I can jibe other boards but cannot get the nose of
the serenity around so the I can sail clew first for a moment before completing the turn.
Directly downwind, is as far as I can get. Any help would be appreciated. Do those of you
who can jibe this board load the back of the board to get the nose up?

Don
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Don,
What fin are you using?
The stock fin that is supplied with the Serenity is very "bitey" (for lack of a better term)
and it's pretty difficult to jibe the board with that fin. When you get to downwind, and the
fin goes from biting on one side to biting on the other side, it hooks up really hard and fast
and that's what may be throwing you off.
Try a smaller fin (maybe 60 cm or so) and I think you'll alot better results.
But your reference to sailing clew first indicate you are trying to jibe the board like something much faster and much shorter.
The technique I used on the Serenity was adapted from racing longboards.
I think it's called a "flare jibe".
What you need to do is rail the board so it turns off the wind (very difficult with the stock fin) and then lean the rig well out to the side to "drive" the board the rest of the way around.
In order to make it a flare jibe you need to really tip/lean the rig way over to the windward side to drive the board around and past dead downwind.
Then stand the rig up and flip it.
A clew first jibe just doesn't move the pressure far enough off the side of the board so the board can rotate around the fin.
You can step back some, but that pretty much a guarantees that you'll end up in the water. (Eddie from WS Mag was really impressive with his sink/flare jibes at the first Serenity demo in the US a few years back).
Actually when you think about it, if you go clew first, with the really long Serenity waterline, the clew first is pretty much preventing the board from turning past down wind
Try flaring the rig out to the side and I think you will have a lot better luck and stay dry alot more of the time.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Don,

My guess is that you have to concentrate more on the footwork. Contrary to a normal planing board where you push down the inside rail (leeward rail down) to jibe the board, you have to push down the outside rail (windward rail down) to jibe the Serenity or any other board equipped with a centerboard.

While being on a dead downwind course, bank the board so that the windward rail gets down to water. The board starts to turn past the eye of the wind. Being still switch stance, continue to apply pressure to the old windward rail (the new leeward rail) to continue the turning arc. At that time, you can continue the turning arc and go clew first, or switch foot, flip the sail and rake it to the tail to continue the jibing turn to upwind.

You can practice a good exercise by making S curves while going dead downwind and alternatively pressing down the windward rail or the leeward rail without flipping the sail. Once you're confident with this footwork, you can next concentrate on the handwork with sail flipping and further footwork with foot stance switching.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Chris Pressler

"In order to make it a flare jibe you need to really tip/lean the rig way over to the windward side to drive the board around and past dead downwind."

Thanks Roger, thatīs the keypoint. Regulate the sailspressure with the sailarm when the mast is leaned far to the windward side and sheet in.

I would suggest to chance th efeet position quit eearly and also rotate (flip) the rigg super early over the long npse. So you can stabilise the finishing part of the jibe. But first you need a correct initiation.

Feet back and in parallel position while the initation can help to turn quicker and stabilize your whole body board rigg system.

Most important out of my view is the correct sailwork, like Roger mentioned.

Good luck,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote