Old 2nd November 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Surfmeister

Default 4.7-5.7m2 waveboard?

I am looking for a light-wind waveboard for primarily 5.0 -5.7 x-onshore sailing (1-2m, mushy, soft waves with little punch) to complement a 75-litre waveboard (currently E74 ´06 but soon to be updated). I have been looking a bit on the Kode86 but am a bit worried if it is loose enough. Comments? Has the changes between ´09 and ´10 K86 improved or lessened the wave riding capability? If not the K86 what board would be recommended? The Q81? I weigh 75kg and am a keen frontside wavesailor.
Thanx!
Surfmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The Kode86 is a great board, but if I think that with the Quads now on the program, it is easier than ever to choose a dedicated wave board instead. At least of you are worried about frontside wave riding. The Kode rips and its probably one of the waviest of all fsw boards, but its still a faster design that need more technqie to ride wave really well in onehore. The strengths of the Kode 86 in waves would be marginal days (like those you mention) but where you put most focus on bacside riding, jumping and general just a nice feel riding around, possibly some freestyle tricks. IN short, all the things fsws do well.

A Quad 81 will feel much looser and offer a totally different feeling for riding frontside. And since it such an early planer an also great upwind, there is not much to loose. I'm sure you will love in in just the conditions you describe. It's awesome for making the most of light and mushy stuff.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:26 AM   #3
Surfmeister

Thanx for the reply and I must say I am quite interested in the Quads..... Concerning the Quads and specifically the surfinz boxes, how well do they handle multiple fin changes e.g taking on and of the fins several times (which I usually have to do due to storage/transportation issues etc). I have looked on the design and am somewhat concerned of the technique used. It seems that there is no metal inserts in the finbox but the threads are directly integrated in the laminate. How well will these threads last? I usually have my board for approx 3 years and would be somewhat distraught if the surfinz boxes whould "de-thread". Is it a concern?

Concerning the board itself how well does it handle a 5.7m2?
Old 5th November 2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Surfmeister

Anyone with some experience on the robustness of the surfinz-box design?
Old 5th November 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Well, my boards are still new, but I also have to take the fins out every time, sometimes several times during a session if I'm testing different fin setups. If anything, so far the rear fins are sitting better and better in the boxes and they have broken in a bit. I've put a tiny drop of oil on the screws to get a better feel for how hard I'm actually tightening them and now they work super smooth.

And the general construction of the surfin boxes is the same as FCS and the design is proven in surfboards for a long time. The screws in the surfinz are sturdier though, so it should hold up even better (and the actual boxes are stronger too).
Old 5th November 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Drop me a line at ola.helenius@ncm.gu.se if you want to test my Quad 81. It's in Göteborg at the moment just waiting for a test ride.