Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 31st December 2009, 01:01 AM   #1
valentine

Default What to buy2010NP X9boom or 2010NS platinum

Help to decide what to buy,2010NP X9 boom or 2010 NS platinum 200-250.The main concern is durability.Thanks in advance.
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Unregistered

Smile Np x9

NP X9 2010 is superb!!!!
Old 31st December 2009, 05:11 AM   #3
nonopr

Buy MauiSails booms.....
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
Buy MauiSails booms.....
Good yes, but so heavy
Old 31st December 2009, 09:43 AM   #5
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

Had a Neil Pryde X9 a couple of years ago and the grip came of after about 10 sessions using the boom. Not really what i would expect to happen after the money i paid so i think the durability of the grip is suspect. Expect to have to regrip it if you buy one.

For a year now i have been sponsored by Chinook. I have been using chinook products for years and I can highly recommend the Chinook Carbon booms. They are light compared to alot of booms on the market and have a massive range of adjustment. They are also alot cheaper than the X9 and North Platinum booms. Check them out :-))

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-250 View Post
For a year now i have been sponsored by Chinook. I have been using chinook products for years and I can highly recommend the Chinook Carbon booms. They are light compared to alot of booms on the market and have a massive range of adjustment. They are also alot cheaper than the X9 and North Platinum booms. Check them out :-))
The problem I have with the Chinook booms is the boom head. It is just too flexible for my taste and the mast boom connection is too loose so you end up with a floppy connection.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 04:37 AM   #7
IRL-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The problem I have with the Chinook booms is the boom head. It is just too flexible for my taste and the mast boom connection is too loose so you end up with a floppy connection.
I never have any issue with the mast boom connection being loose on my booms so don't know why you ended up with a floppy connection

KA Sails (
)
Chinook (
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Old 27th April 2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-250 View Post
I never have any issue with the mast boom connection being loose on my booms so don't know why you ended up with a floppy connection
If you examine the boom head on the Chinook boom you will find that the plastic is flexible and soft (way too flexible IMO) and when you pull down on the boom, once it is attached to the mast, there is some give, especially after sailing for awhile. Boards magazine did a boom test a few years ago and they had the same problem with Chinook booms. I have a friend with a Chinook formula carbon boom which he refuses to use because of this issue - so he has an expensive carbon boom gathering dust. I've customized mine so it is usable. There are a number of things I like about the boom; however, the boom head isn't one of them.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:48 AM   #9
Unregistered

Hands down the new np x9 race boom is the best Ive sailed.
In comparison to MS sails, its better engineered at the front and back ends + better clips.
Not as heavy as the MS boom either.
One slick boom!
Old 27th April 2010, 04:02 AM   #10
IRL-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If you examine the boom head on the Chinook boom you will find that the plastic is flexible and soft (way too flexible IMO) and when you pull down on the boom, once it is attached to the mast, there is some give, especially after sailing for awhile. Boards magazine did a boom test a few years ago and they had the same problem with Chinook booms. I have a friend with a Chinook formula carbon boom which he refuses to use because of this issue - so he has an expensive carbon boom gathering dust. I've customized mine so it is usable. There are a number of things I like about the boom; however, the boom head isn't one of them.
There is a little bit of give but too me it is no noticeable on the water. They are definetly not floppy. In fact i think that give has saved me snapping booms is some really big wipeouts. The main advantage of the boom head though is if you do snap one side of the boom you can replace it. If this happened with any other boom it would end up in the bin and you would have an expensive bill to replace it

KA Sails (
)
Chinook (
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m