Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th February 2010, 04:52 AM   #1
PrydeMan

Default Setup i76 for first time speed board

I tried out my i76 for the first time yesterday at Sandy Point with a demo RSR 5.5m. The Sail worked well, but I need to work on getting use to the board and set it up better and work on my stance.

My setup was both front and back foot straps set in the inbound setting, with the front ones forward and back ones in the middle. The mast foot was about 1cm forward from centre. I am about 62 and about 80kgs, using a waist harness. My stance may have been more up right as habit from wave and freestyle sailing, plus using the waist harness. I will try a seat harness some time when I'm more comfortable with the board.

The problems I had yesterday was;
1. the nose seem to be bit too high off the water
2. my left front foot did not feel very secure in the foot strap, especially through the chop
3. the cut away from the sail clew kept catching in the water

Any advice on how to setup i76 for first time speed sailor would be great. Thanks in advance.

PS: I have posted the same question on the Seabreeze forum. Another i76 owner has the same problem with the front left foot strap, where he kept feeling like he was coming out of the strap and eventually he catapulted and now does not use the board. This too happen to me. Is there a issue with the i76 front left foot strap location?
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 12:33 AM   #2
mark h

Hi Prydeman
I used to love my old iS76, but had to sell it when I got the W53

Was the down wind session at SP starboard tack? If yes, then try moving the rear strap completely forward, also move your harness line on forward by 1cm or 2cm. Do this only to the upwind lines, leave the lines well back on the down wind side. So basically there set up different on both tacks.

Also, put both footstraps in the outer holes for SP, it will stop the upright stance and help you get more leverage and speed.

C/W the iS86, the iS76 has more nose rocker, so its pretty normal for it ride with a high nose, especially once you get to 35 plus knot speeds. If you don't like the feel of a high nose, a smaller fin will help get the nose down. The stock Drake 32cm fin was pretty grunty.

The NP RSR has a low clew, try moving your mast track right back. This will stop the clew hitting the deck or water. But it might feel better if you move the footstraps on the down wind side all the way back (will also be faster). The flat water SP conditions should allow this.

If your using it on a speed course, its to have harness lines and footstraps set up different on opposite tacks. It may look odd, but it will allow you to be more efficient on both upwind and down wind tacks

Hope you get to figure it out I really liked the iS76, and regret selling it. It was a true high wind open water slalom board. Just couldn't justify having a both the W53 & iS76.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mark h; 11th February 2010 at 12:35 AM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 03:02 AM   #3
PrydeMan

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the down wind run last Sunday at SP was on the starboard tack. The fin I was using was a Select Casper 27cm speed fin.
I will change the foot strap and harness line settings. Thanks for that.

Regards,
Stephen

My boards:
i76, FU93, FU111, F98, F106, Q81, K94, GO155.
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote