Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th April 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
agrelon

Default NCX, X-Type or Hellcat with Futura 93l

Hi all,

I want to get a 2nd sail for use with my Futura 93l. My current sail is a 5.8m F8 Ram and what I love about it is that I hardly ever get over powered with it thanks to the cams and stable profile. The cons with this sail though are that I can't sail for as long because it's much heavier than an RAF and getting jibes round is also more difficult due to the added weight.

For this reason I want to get a fast RAF sail for lighter conditions. I'm debating between a Severne NCX (6.5m), Neilpryde Hellcat (6.7m) and North X-Type (6.6m).

I read in Windmag that the Hellcat has the best topend speed but is a bit more technical to sail.

Does anyone have any experience using any of these sails on a Futura 93l?

Cheers.

Last edited by agrelon; 15th April 2010 at 04:10 PM.
agrelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
John1

My experience with most of the Neil Pryde sails is good characteristics, but bad quality.
Therefore I have changed to Ezzy Freeride 6,5 and his wavesails in the smaller. I have nothing to do with ezzy sails, Ihave to buy them for the usual prize.
Have alook at www.ezzy.com
With regards,
John1
(Sweden)
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 02:34 AM   #3
PG

All three are good sails and will fit your board.

I think it mostly is a question of masts (and price of course), and planning for a mast quiver for the future. NP wants flextop masts, Severne wants average to stifftop, and North goes with average bend curves.

The next decision is if you are to go for a RDM or SDM mast for this sail :-)

Do you already have a North 430 mast for your RAM? Then another North would of course be a safe pick.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 08:01 AM   #4
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
All three are good sails and will fit your board.

I think it mostly is a question of masts (and price of course), and planning for a mast quiver for the future. NP wants flextop masts, Severne wants average to stifftop, and North goes with average bend curves.

The next decision is if you are to go for a RDM or SDM mast for this sail :-)

Do you already have a North 430 mast for your RAM? Then another North would of course be a safe pick.
Sadly I don't have a sailmaker specific mast yet, which is partly why I can choose between these 3 different sails. I use a 100% RDM Gulftech mast on my 5.8m and, having made some spacers, it rigs really nicely. For this reason, it might also work well with an X-Type. I think I would start out by getting a sail, and then a bit later get the specific mast, so obviously it needs to work on my mast in the mean time. All these sails, at least to my knowledge, are around the same price so that isn't so much a deciding factor.

I met the marketing manager from Neilpryde the other day here in Hong Kong and he told me the 2011 line was being announced (at least by neilpryde) on August 15th. If I'm going to pay full price, I might as well wait to see what they come up with for 2011 and if I don't like the 2011s I can get a 2010 discounted

I was also considering a 6.5m Helium from NP but this sail would definitely need the right mast right off the bat and I don't think my wallet goes that deep.... would've been nice to have a really early planing sail in the upper windrange of my board.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:54 AM   #5
agrelon

Hmm, might get an NCX pro. It's the same price as a Hellcat.

I'm probably also gonna need a new fin for these sails. I think 34-36cm should do it.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:21 PM   #6
COACHG

I have a 2005 Severne NCX 6.5 sail that I have used with my Futura 93. I also have an SDM 430 Gulftech mast that I tried on the NCX. It doesnít work so I doubt your Gulftech RDM will work. I ended up getting a Fiberspar mast based on Severneís recommendation.

The performance of the sail has been very good. Not great power, but great range, fast and very light. I find the 6.5 NCX very easy to jibe, backwind sail, or do light wind hellitacks or upwind 360ís. The sail just feels much smaller then a 6.5.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 04:11 AM   #7
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

Check out the 6.6m KA Koyote which is a no cam freeride sail that has broken 40 knots several times. KA have used what they have learned when developing the speed (KA Koncept) and Race (KA Race) and used some of the features from these sails in the design of the Koyote. Not only are they a fast sail but because of the short boom length they are very easy to use aswell.

They are great sails, you check them out on the KA Website here http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/sa...10_koyote.html

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote