Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th April 2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Unregistered

Post North Europe windsurfing trip, need info.

Hi all. I need info about northern Europe spots, I'm planning a car trip (like last year in summer, I went to continental Denmark, Jutland)
Received some info from a (famous) rider about Denmark, still searching also about west coast of Sweden (Gotaland), and pheraphs south of Norway, if I'll reach it (my dream is sailing in a Norway fjord).
Due to work problems instead of end of July I'll probably have to do it in the first half of August.
So:
1) Better/worster weather and or wind and waves?;
2) Crowdy, pricy?
Thanks in advance,
Nico from Venice, Italy
Old 26th April 2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Doby

1. Probably better chance for wind and waves in August.
2. Crowds, no, pricy, depends on the euro. I think it is pretty cheap compared to a couple of years ago. Norway is superexpensive.

Swedish windsurf and kite forum: www.surfzone.se
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks! You make me happey for wind and waves, let's hope for luck.
Good news also for swedish prices, at the moment Gotaland is my main destination.
I've heard about Norway prices, I hoped something better of the bad reputation, also after seeing on the web the price of the overnight in some farm in south Norway, that didn't seem so bad. But anyway if I'll be in time I'll pheraphs enter Norway and see how things go with my (low) cash, if I''l see a sudden "low tide" I,ll turn back my car and go south.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Unregistered

One possibility is taking the ferry with your car to Iceland. You could get lucky with wind although september would be better. I live here and the windsurfing can get quite good and with our busted currency its alot cheaper than for example Norway.

you wont find a crowded beach for sure..
Old 29th April 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Unregistered

Very interesting option, thanks. Last year when I was in the (pheraphs only) hotel in Hanstolm-DK I met an Italian guy who was wayting to go with ferry to Iceland the day after. Seen some photos and it seems fascinating a lot; and I'm sure prices are really way chaper than Norway.
On the opposite side I've found that the cheaper option of ferry with simple couchette accomodation for two persons costs 1.300,00 euro (about 950 in June); not a little thing for my also busted incomes. And I know that two days of cruise in the North Sea can become a strong experience if sea conditions are rough, not for me that I've ever loved waves and wind (when I was I a boy the best amusement was going out with small motor boats and jumping over the waves..), but especially for my girl who is less mad than me.
But I can talk with my girl and see what she think about this.
I've seen that distances ar not impossible for crossing all Iceland, much better than in Norway. But: I don't know anything about the windsurf spots, even if something tells me that the south coast should be better for wind (pheraphs thinking at Australia) but Google maps keep on suggesting me the North Highway. I think that this coud be related to Eyjafjallajökull eruption and south roads destruction, isn't it?
Old 29th April 2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Unregistered

Cool

It takes about 5-6 hours to drive the entire south coast of the island, from the ferry witch lands at the most eastern part of the island it´s about 7 hours. You can drive around the island in two days or one very long one.

Road No. one has been opened again after the eruption so that´s no problem and the south coast has better roads then the northern part.

Recently, and last summer the east coast has had the most wind with wind over 30knots quite frequently but that can change, just depends on pressure systems on any given time.

From Eyjafjallajökull to Vatnajökull (south coast) the coastline can have massive shore breaks that can be very tricky. That´s not a problem in general on coastline with fjords.

Reykjanes peninsula (south of Reykjavík) has tons of wavespots and you can find spots in any given wind direction with in a 30min drive.

If you like sailing with 6m or bigger there are spots on the norther part of the island that have very predictible wind coming in and out of certain fjords at certain time of the day.

There are about 6 windsurfers on the island, 5 kiters and 15 surfers, you will not find a crowded beach but then again no lifeguards either.

some surfing on the north coast this winter:
http://vimeo.com/10076925

some windsurfing in Reykjavík last spring, 5min drive from the center:
http://vimeo.com/4644869

Some windsurfing on a tricky day at a tricky spot on the Reykjanes peninsula (30min from Reykjavík)
http://vimeo.com/4644530

If you need any more info just ask again or i can give you my email, if you come to the island don´t hesitate to contact me and i can help you out.

Best regards!