Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 18th June 2010, 03:57 AM   #1
lkw

Default new owner 2002 GO 140 board and sail/boom-need mast help

Hello - I'm a newbie to ownership of this equipment, have stepped on a rental a few times though and wanted my own gear. I have picked up items in an odd order perhaps - I have a 4.7 Aerotech sail, a new Chinook adjustable boom, and just found and purchased ( but not yet taken delivery of ) a 2002 Starboard GO 140 liter board. She has a fin ... but no mast.
I cant find in the online literature or see in the photos of the board what type of fitting will be required to attach a mast to the board. Can someone describe what style / type of fittings or base etc I need to find to finish this cobbled together starter outfit ? ... many thanks
lkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi lkw,
Here is what you need:
1/ First, can you give us the model of the 4.7 Aerotech sail you have purchased?
Depending on the model (and the year of manufacture if you can find that out as well)
we can fairly easily tell you which mast (s) will be the most compatible with your sail.
2/ What fin do you have (size in cm or mm and the model if you can still see the writing/
graphics on the fin?
3/ You will need a mast extension to suit your new mast, and a mast base that fits the mast extension.
You will need to choose either the Chinook 2 push pin style (most common in the USA)
or the Euro Pin style (more common in Europe and elsewhere.
You have selected a very small sail for a GO 140.
Are you going to be sailing in lots of wind (i.e. 20 knots +)?
Give us the sail model, and something about your choice (Chinook vs Euro) and we can recommend specific components that can be purchased on the internet or from you local
windsurfing shop/retailer.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again lkw,
To better answer your question, there is a mast slot in the top of your board with
a wider access slot at the back.
You need a twist on mast base, with a brass "T" nut.
The "T" nut goes down in the slot, slides forward a bit, and you tighten it down with the
twist plate on the mast base. The screw on the bottom of the mast base pulls/clamps the
brass "T" nut up in the slot to lock your mast base in position.
Try to get a mast base that is "on center"! They cost a bit more than the off center mast bases,
but they tend to be more strongly made and do not come loose and slide around like the
off center bases (incorrectly shimmed).
You will probably need a short (15 cm) mast extension to engage with the top of the
mast base.
You will most likely need a 400-430 cm mast (buy the highest carbon content you can afford here).
Try to avoid buying a 460 cm IMCS 25 mast and extending the head cap on the sail as this will add alot of weight to your rig, at the wrong end of the lever.
Also, the IMCS (Indexed Mast Check System) for your 4.7 sail will be 18-23 and a 460 cm mast will have an IMCS of 25 so the mast will not bend correctly in your sail.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 19th June 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote