Old 20th July 2010, 06:49 AM   #1
basher

Default 2011 Boards

Good to see the new site up and running well, and the forum is on again too. Thanks.
The new boards look great too.
I love all the convertible options, but perhaps that makes choosing the right board more difficult.

Can you help by telling us the basic difference in hull shape, between the Evo IQ, the Quad IQ and the 2011 Kode. Obviously the fin configurations are different, but how do the hull shapes vary in terms of early planing and looseness on the wave etc.

How do you see each board suiting different conditions and sailors of differing abilities?
basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Frederic

As I can notice, I think the EVO IQ 2011 are the shape of the Quad 2010 with single and twin fins option instead of quad option. Am I right ?
With the Evo IQ, There is only one single fin provided, not the twin fins, but with he Quad IQ, all the options fins are provided, why not the Evo IQ ?
I have a 76 l quad 2010 and 66l quad 2010, it seems there is no very small Quad or Evo option, so I will keep it but what are the difference with a Quad 76 2010 and a Quad IQ 77 2011, the one foot lenght is smaller for the new quad right ?

Many thanks in advance
Frédéric
Frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
As I can notice, I think the EVO IQ 2011 are the shape of the Quad 2010 with single and twin fins option instead of quad option. Am I right ?
Yes, pretty much. The 71 is a totally new shape.

Quote:
With the Evo IQ, There is only one single fin provided, not the twin fins, but with he Quad IQ, all the options fins are provided, why not the Evo IQ ?
I don't know the background for this decision. Of course, every fin delivered with a board will affect the price to the end user so maybe it's a measure to keep cost down for those who might not be interested in the twin option. And nowadays there are also so many different styles of twin fins around, so the sailor might wanna chose his or her own fav twin fin.

Quote:
I have a 76 l quad 2010 and 66l quad 2010, it seems there is no very small Quad or Evo option, so I will keep it.
The Q66 is a sick board for high wind control, particularly with the 13cm set of front fins. But do watch this space for an interesting option...

Quote:
but what are the difference with a Quad 76 2010 and a Quad IQ 77 2011, the one foot lenght is smaller for the new quad right ?
Like Scotty writes above, the new 2011 Quads are smoother in outline. Effectively there is a bit more outline curve in the middle but a bit less between your feet. This and the pin tail also gives a smaller ofo. But I'd say that the different curve is what matters, not so much the actual width at the tail. The outline design of the EVO IQ and 2010 Quads with a straighter middle and a "hip" between your feet is a classic (since the original EVOs and even further back) way of combining rail drive when you push forwards with an almost autopilot way of going vertical and hit the lip when you release this forward pressure. This works with all fin setups. With the smoother outline of the 2011 Quads the rider need to drive the board vert a bit more actively, but on the other hand the smoother design can super powerful "pro level" amount of drive better.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
scott mckercher

HI basher
well, basic difference in hull shapes would be the smoother outline pintail on the quad's as opposed to the hipped outline of the evo.
Basic theme of bottom configuration is similar between the two with forward V leading into monoconcave tail. Except on the evo 71 which was a monoconcave tail to V. (was the black sheep of the family that just worked insano)
Ultimately the different outlines are suiting the different fin configurations.
The quad fin system combines with the smooth pintail outline and relatively high rocker, to provide a lot of lift for planing and drive through a turn.
The twin fin as a option for this board is more for down the line conditions.(Generally)
Which is why there's an onshore option in the quad set up with large fins forward.

The evo with it's more parallel outline with a hip can create a bit more drive from the hull , and could be the better all round twin fin option.
Along with being the traditional sail off of the fin type blasting around sailing as a single fin.

Basically both shapes offer a large variation of sensations for rider skill levels and conditions.

You could possibly point more novice sailors or people sailing in less than perfect conditions towards the evo as a single fin, but you can't pigeon hole the board into that category, as they totally rip in down the line conditions as well, especialy when in it's twin mode as it really loosens up.

Just like the quad goes good ion the onshorey beach break stuff too.

The kode is still the fastest sensation of the lot with it's flatter rocker for people that want to blast, but as Kev proved in cabo verde, a shape that definitely rips in down the line conditions too.

Hope this helps??
Scotty
scott mckercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Frederic

Wow ! Many thanks for all theses interresting informations !!!
Frédéric
Old 21st July 2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Ray Timm

I've been sailing a Quad 77 for the past week in mostly onshore winds. I've switched between the different fin positions frequently to see what the discernible differences are. Having never sailed a twin fin before I was a bit surprised at how loose the board was with that setup. The board with twin fins is really easy to pump onto plane and it has a floaty feel when you're sailing. The turns and jibes are so quick it took me some time before I got used to how little rail pressure was needed to initiate turns or gybes. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went upwind; I had no problem staying upwind as long as I was well powered up. I think it will be my favorite setup for high wind and rough water conditions since the board floats over the chop so well especially when going deep downwind fully powered up. I also liked how this setup jumped for me; the board already feels like it in the air before the actual takeoff.

With the fins set up for onshore with the larger fin in the forward position, the board is really glued to the water, feeling like it is on rails; more so than my Quad 76-10 model, but I have to sail both back-to-back to really know if that is the case. Definitely the gybes are quite drawn out unless one really drives and pressures the rail. Coming from the twin fin setup to the onshore one, I had to purposely think about gybing to get the pressure to the rails; however, once you do you can really be aggressive with the turn. In a little way it reminds me of my old gray colored Acids where one seemed to really feel connected to the rail on bottom turns and gybes.

In the sideshore mode, I pretty much agree with the description of the ride by the pro riders. Grippy, but at the same time looser on the bottom turns and the gybes.

I also have the Quad 82. Seems a tad smoother in rough water, but I haven't sailed both of them in exactly the same conditions to totally confirm if it is really the case. Otherwise, the above pretty much applies to it too.

All in all I really like the possibilities offered by the various setups.

Last edited by Ray Timm; 21st July 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Frederic

I have another question, on the new quad iq 2011, the quad set fins is 13 cm and 11cm, for the former quad 2010, it was 16cm and 11cm or 15 cm and 12 cm for the 76l quad 2010.
There will be not a lack of grip in normal sailing condisions ? Or may be with the shape of the fins which looks wider then the 2010 ones, the grip will be similar ? You can of course advice to get the evo IQ for a more conventional grip effect in normal sailing conditions.
Thanks
Frédéric
Old 21st July 2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Effectively, the further back a fin is the more it will add to the grippy feel when sailing straight, particularly at lower speeds. With the 2010 setup the big fins could only be placed forwards and then some extra area was needed to keep the board performing. With the 2011 you have so much more options. First you can run the big fins in front like before, but move the rear fins further back because of the adjustability of the slot boxes. The makes a huge difference and moving the rear fins back and forwards really makes it possible to fine tune compromise between straight line performance and feel when turning. Then you can
run the big fins in the back which generally give a looser (and less drivey) feel when turning, but also good straight line, particularly if you move the rear fins backwards. And rocker and bottom as such is also like before rather "powerful" for good upwind work. So I don't think you need to worry about it.

If you already have the Quad76 and like how the drivey feel in a bottom makes it easier to generate speed, the I think you should stay with the Quad for 2011. You will have that same feeing, but also the ability to tune it towards a "softer" quad setup and as a super loose twin fin.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 04:41 AM   #9
Frederic

OK, I am convinced haha I order a new quad 77 to replace my 76 quad, But I keep my quad 66 for the moment.
many thanks for the advices !
Frédéric
Old 4th August 2010, 12:18 AM   #10
sailpower

Send a message via MSN to sailpower

Hi Ola and Scott,

Which is the end user price for Quad IQ and Evo IQ wood and wood carbon? (in Euros)
Boards are in shops here in France since 15 days but no informations about prices.

all the best

Thomas
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote