Old 9th January 2007, 09:57 AM   #1
simonNZ

Default Problems with Starboard Aero 2006

Hi guys,

I have a 2006 starboard Aero 117 which has proved a fantastic board. This is spoiled slightly as around the screw holes for the footstraps at the back of the board the colouring of the deckpad has changed to a sandy brown - almost as if it is rusting. Please can you let me know whay this has happened, i have only ever used the screws you provided with the board and can send pictures if you like.

Simon
simonNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Problems with Starboard Aero 2006

Hard to say what it might be. I would take off the back strap and inspect the screws for rust. If you can see any, I think its safest to go to your dealer and get a set of new screws.

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 12:41 AM   #3
steveC

Hi Simon,

I've found that stainless screws will tend to produce some discoloring if they come into contact with the carbon fiber laminations. Also, if stainless screws weren't electropolished as a part of finish processing, there can be a tendency for any remaining ferrites to produce a rusty stain and the possibility of some very minor pitting. However, I've never found that this kind of result can be considered rust or corrosion in the true sense that leads to stuctural failure.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Phill104

If you suspect the screws have any rust then I would replace them straight away. It's a real pain in the rear trying to remove a broken screw not to mention the results of the catapult you will have if it breaks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Phill104
If you suspect the screws have any rust then I would replace them straight away.(
Good point. I would replace all of them if I was in your shoes...If one screw is indeed worn out, weakened or on the brink to break, you have no clues about the good health of those remaining in place without showing full-blown symptoms of rust. It's called preventive maintenance.

Simon,

You might want to check the following thread for a good discussion on rusting screws and how to clean the brownish stain :

http://www.star-board.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=5&thread_id=22069

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote