Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th November 2010, 12:30 AM   #1
van

Default Evo 71 shock horror came with a swallow tail??

Hi guys,

Today I took delivery of a new Evo 71 2011 model wood carbon and while I was taking the raps off at home I was gobsmacked as the board had a swallow tail on instead of a pin tail as seen on the Starboard site. What is going on? Also the sticker on the board states that it is 71 litres with 229 cm length and 55.5 cmwidth when in the site it is described as 223 cmand 56 cm. So I measured the board and found it is 220-221cm?????????

I called the dealer up and he said that in the dealers brochure it clearly has a swallow tail on. I asked him to log on to the site and see for himself that there, it has a pin tail but his computer had some problems and so he still has not responded back to me.

I don't want a swallow tail board and ordered the Evo 71 over any other board cause it's probably the only board in the market more that 70 liters and less than 74 with a single fin AND A PIN TAIL.

Need a responce asap.

Regards

Van
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Van

The exact measurement for the Evo IQ 71 are :

Length : 222.6
Widtf : 55.7
Tail : 36.1

Cobra sometimes make a mistake for the sticker this happen this year with the iSonic 117 Wide, the board is 80 Wide but but the sticker of the 117, so 75

Of course will not have an effect on water but not pleasant

Have fun

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
van

Hi Remi,

Many thanks for your response but I think you missed the whole point of my question. I have a board still under raps cause I refuse to accept it which as per your site basically shouldn't exist.

The main difference being it says that it is an Evo 71 and it has a SWALLOW TAIL. If you check your site you will CLEARLY see the board should have a PIN TAIL. So what board is the one I have?????

The only reason why I measured the board was in case as is common with startboards is like you mentioned has a wrong sticker. (I have had 3 Starboards with wrong stickers so far. Don't know why Cobra only make this mistake on Starboards).

Finally to finish, the dimensions of the board don't add up either as it's as I said 220cm long.

So can you please answer the following questions for me.

a) Does the Evo 71 come with a SWALLOW TAIL or a PIN TAIL as per your site?
b) If it comes with a PIN TAIL why do I have a board with a SWALLOW TAIL?
c) If it comes with a SWALLOW TAIL why are you miss-describing and miss leading customers?
d) As you confirmed the measurements above why is my board even shorter?

Many thanks. Awaiting your response asap as the wave season is starting here in Greece and I have to see what I'm going to do with this board. ie take it back/get my money back and the see what other board to buy.

Regards

Van
Old 8th November 2010, 05:37 AM   #4
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Hi Remi,

Many thanks for your response but I think you missed the whole point of my question. I have a board still under raps cause I refuse to accept it which as per your site basically shouldn't exist.

The main difference being it says that it is an Evo 71 and it has a SWALLOW TAIL. If you check your site you will CLEARLY see the board should have a PIN TAIL. So what board is the one I have?????

The only reason why I measured the board was in case as is common with startboards is like you mentioned has a wrong sticker. (I have had 3 Starboards with wrong stickers so far. Don't know why Cobra only make this mistake on Starboards).

Finally to finish, the dimensions of the board don't add up either as it's as I said 220cm long.

So can you please answer the following questions for me.

c) If it comes with a SWALLOW TAIL why are you miss-describing and miss leading customers?

Many thanks. Awaiting your response asap as the wave season is starting here in Greece and I have to see what I'm going to do with this board. ie take it back/get my money back and the see what other board to buy.

Regards

Van
http://www.star-board.com/AutumnWint.../board_evo.php

That looks like a swallow tail to me....
Old 8th November 2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi Van.

There is an error with the pic (which is rather a computer generated one) on the site. I'm sorry of this has led you to the getting the wrong impression of the board. I'll answer your particular questions below:

Quote:
The images shows a pintail board, but this is an error. And in fact there are still some errors regarding bottom shape too. The EVO IQ 71 is a single into double concave and the other are flat v into single. But all have swallow tails.
Quote:
The real board is a swallow tail shape. It is only the computer generated pic that is wrong. Probably it was generated from last years quad71, which was a pin tail.

Quote:
This is an error. Not interntional.

Quote:
It might depend on how you measure it. Typically Starboard measures along the bottom curve from tail to nose. I'll check my EVO IQ 71 to confirm later. The other measurements seem OK to me. IN fact if it's really 55.7, you could round that the 56 if you round to the nearest full cm or to 55.5 if you round if the nearest half cm.

So, I can ensure you that you have the "right" board. It's a shape that has been developed since late 2008, originally to replace small Evil Twins (but hten quads came instead) and then it has been fine tuned since then in the Starboard development and now it is the only really new shape on the EVO IQ lineup (the other are the old Quad shapes from 2010). It's a sick board, super easy to sail and still radical and the rougher it gets and the harder you push it the better it responds. The reason it has the shape it has is simply because it worked so well so no need to change it into a pin. I would say that this board is the last in line of a decade long development of 70 liter boards by Scott McKercher, originating all back to the surf 70 and the Acid 70/74, through EVO 70 and three generations of EVO XTV (the last one became the 2010 Quad 71) and then Evil Twin 74. The new EVO iQ 71 is the modern version of this classic line of boards. I'm sorry of you don't like the tail, but if you like a solid, easy and stable board that still can venture far, far into performance windsurfing in super radical conditions, I think you will be very happy with the Evo IQ 71.

Last edited by Ola_H; 8th November 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
van

Enlarge the 71 board at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about. The board comes with a swallow tail in the 76, 81 and 86 litre board. Not the 71 as per the site. The 71 has a PIN TAIL.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:22 AM   #7
agrelon

Quote:
Enlarge the 71 board at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about. The board comes with a swallow tail in the 76, 81 and 86 litre board. Not the 71 as per the site. The 71 has a PIN TAIL.
Ah, indeed. Point accepted.
Old 8th November 2010, 06:31 PM   #8
van

Hi Ola,

Thanks for clarifying that. Never the less if you don't mind some criticism I can't believe that after 2 months that the 2011 site has been running, no one from Starboard spotted the mistake. Doesn't anyone do a product check? Also the sticker on the board says it's a 71 liter board with measurements 229x55.5cm which again wrong (I've had wrong stickers on Futuras as well). I think someone has to have a serious sit down chat with whoever is in charge with those issues.

In all honesty I have read a few of your replies on the forum and you are obviously a guy who knows his stuff and always more than helpful and I always value what you have to say so I take your word that I will be happy with the board. But to be honest had I known it had a swallow tail I would have been very tempted to maybe go for a JP or R.Ricci tri fin. I just don't find the swallow tail appealing to me in the way it looks. Anyway.

Out of curiosity what advantages/disadvantages are there between pin and swallow tail for my guidance or is this change in the tail a marketing thing.

Van
Old 9th November 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

Van,

Agreed. I'll forward the message to the people responsible.

And I hope you will like the board. Again, if you've been in EVOs before I think you will love it right away. Let us know how you like it.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote