Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 20th November 2010, 07:28 AM   #1
bratg0

Default New Futura 133

Hi Roger,

After of few years learning on the 2008 Rio M , I have ordered 2010 Futura 133 2010 edition.
With my ~200lb I am wondering if I am going to be able to uphole it. I am not in the water starts yet. My rigs are 6.0, 7.0 and 8.5., comfortable in the straps and harness most of the time.Most of my sailing is done on the lake(6-20mph) and some tine on the ocean (up to 25-35 mph).

Thanks for your advice,

G.
bratg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi G,
The Futura 133 has enough volume to float your 200 lbs. and an 8.5 rig, but right at first it's going to seem like it does not have sufficient volume.... specially since you are sailing primarily in fresh water and will not have the additional bouyancy that salt/sea water provides.
The length of the board is going to give you more problems... right at first...with your uphauling vs what you doing on the Rio M.
My guess (I weighed 10-15 lbs less than your 200 lbs.) is that you will need to place your front foot just in front of the mast foot (use the circle printed on the board as your baseline for mast foot position.... I've found it to be quite accurate on where the "sweet spot" actually is) and your back foot a shoulders width
behind your front foot.
If you try to space your feet equally (as you probably did on the Rio M) you will find that the nose sinks pretty quickly.
So, you need to place your feet so that your weight is centered over the fore and aft max. bouyancy point,
which is not going to be where the mast foot is. Your weight will be offset toward the back of the board to put you in the more floaty, wider, thicker area behind the mast foot.
You will need to be a little careful and pick your conditions until you learn to waterstart, as in higher winds and when you are sailing in the ocean with swells and chop, you may find yourself in a situation where you cannot make uphauling work.
I had this expereince many years ago, and I learned to do a slow and ugly version of a waterstart that day.
Only way I could get up and sailing to get back to shore, so there were no options... it was siply too rough to uphaul.
So, start out in miler conditions with your 8.5 m2 rig and expect to fall off a few times.
Side to side balance and flotation will be less an issue and your skills learned on the Rio M will serve you well on the Futura 133.
Keeping you weight over the fore and aft centerline will be similar to what you did on the Rio.
Another issue you will find different is how quickly you can move back on the board.
The Futura will not want to plane real easily if your weight remains forward of the front footstraps so you
will definitely need to move back on the board, but you cannot move back too quickly or the tail will sink and you will loose all your speed.
PROGRESSIVELY is the answer here. Move back a little... gain a little more speed, move back some more,,, gain more speed.. do this in stages and you will soon learn how fast you can move back (relative
to how quickly the board accelerates) to keep the board accelerating without going too far and killing your speed.
Good luck... do not get discouraged... it will come together and you will soon be zooming over the water's surface at significantly greater speed than on your Rio M .. on a board that you can basically turn on a dime by comparison.
Enjoy,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
bratg0

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the fast replay and the valuable advices. Do you think that in my case is going to be beater if I change the board to 144 or 155L or switch to Go?
G.
Old 21st November 2010, 04:38 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi G.
No, I think you will adapt to the Futura 133 pretty quickly.
Just don't give up after the first 2 or 3 times you sail the Futura 133.
It has plenty of volume for a sailor your size to uphaul.
Going to a larger or wider board would take you back in the direction of the Rio M.
At first you will cuss and swear at the F 133 because you won't be able to uphaul
quite the same way you are used to doing on the Rio.
That will actually be the case!
Soon you will adapt how you uphaul to the different fore and aft balance required
and then you will be "on your way" to even smaller boards for higher winds.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 21st November 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 27th November 2010, 03:40 AM   #5
bratg0

Hi Roger,

At the end I got the 2010 Futura 141 (the vendor run out of 133, but the price was right) . Since the board is a little bigger, do I have to fallow you advices as for 133 or it will be more like the Rio?What fin size you would recommend for my 5.0 and 6.0 gigs(my understanding is that the fin that the board is coming with is going to be good for my 7.0 and probably cover my 8.5 rig).

Thanks,

G.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi bratg0,
The Futura 141 should be a little easier for you to get accustomed to (coming off the Rio M) as it's
wider and has a little more volume.
It will definitely feel more like a short board than your Rio M ever will.
I think the Rio M is perhaps the best longboard/shortboard "compromise" ever designed, but for the true
shortboard feel and performance, you will do nicely with the Futura 141.
Actually, your 5.0 and 6.0 rigs (particularly the 5.0) are going to be a little small for the F 141 for a guy your size.
This is due to the width and volume of the F 141.
When you get conditions that require a 5.0 m2 rig for a 200 lb. sailor the chop will probably be big enough
that you will wish you were on a 110-122 liter Futura.
But, you have the sails, and when conditions are right for the smaller rigs, I would suggest downsizing the
fin about 4-8 cm and give it a try.
You will be able to sail OK, but the ride may get a little rough. If so, try moving the mast foot back to near the back of the slot to get more of the board out of the water and the center of effort in your small rigs back over the fin's center of lateral resistance.
The 2010 Futura 141 is supposed to come with a 50 cm fin, so look for a 46 and maybe a 42 for your smaller rigs.
Be sure to take some 320-400 grit wet/dry abrasive paper and "fair in" the paint/decals on the OEM stock
fin. These fins are not bad, but often a little "smoothing" of the foil profile can go along ways toward making what seems like a poor fin (spinout prone) into a pretty good fin.
It's not going to help much with uphauling in that much wind, but it may "push" you a bit to work on waterstarts.
Just be careful in < 6.0 m2 conditions as you may find yourself out in conditions that make uphauling nearly impossible.
You will enjoy the Futura 141, I'm pretty sure, just give yourself enough time on the new board to learn
how it works differently than you Rio M, and you should be on your way to full on shortboarding.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:41 PM   #7
bratg0

Hi Roger,

Thanks a lot for your help solving my problem! You are as usual the best and straight to the point of solving them. Finally I got my board delivered today and I start wondering if I will need the original DRAKE R13 Race 500 SL S- flex fin (part of the package) or I will be better using my existing TRUE AMES Shallow Water Weed 440(17.5'') fin.

Take care,

G.
Old 3rd December 2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi G.
Depends on if you have lots of weeds where you will be sailing.
If lots of weeds, use the True Ames SW Weed.
It's not really too big for a Futura 141 with a 7.5 m2 or larger rig.
If you sail somewhere with no weeds, then try the 50 cm Drake.
In weedless waters, the more vertical fin will give you a bit better
performance and a little different feel.
Hope this helps,
Roger