Old 19th May 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
TonyC

Default S-Type 93 or 104?

Hi,

I asked Kevin this but also appreciate any other feedback.

I am getting back into the sport after 5 years away (kids etc). I was advanced intermediate and my last boards were F2 Axxis 272 (90ltr) and Windtech Course (140ltr). I wish to get a very fast board that is also good at gybing and have settled on the S-Type. I weigh 78kgs (will get back to 84 kgs in the next 6 months) and sail in Western Australia with sea breezes of 18-23 knts average. I plan to use Tushingham Storm 5m and Lightning 6.5 sails. Can you advise which would be the best of the S-Type 93 and 104 to get. I primarily will be burn and turn but would also like some upwind ability in the board and plan to maybe do the Ledge to Lancelin in 09 once I get back up to speed. I was told the ST104 was better upwind but I wish to get the smallest/fastest board possible for control in chop etc.

Thanks for any help on this

TonyC
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Ray Timm

Default RE: S-Type 93 or 104?

Hi Tony,

I'm 83 kgs and generally prefer the ST-93 over the 104 in the windspeeds that you mentioned. The 93 will carry a 6.5 almost as well as the 104, plus it is smoother and gybes better than the 104 for me. I also find it to have a crisper ride and more of a slalom feel than the 104. Overall, I think it is a great board for blasting around whether it is offshore on big swells or on choppy water near shore. I also have a ST-115 and I even prefer that to the 104 in most conditions.

Hope this helps.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
TonyC

Thanks Ray. Looks like the ST93 would be best - how well does it go upwind when powered up.
Old 20th May 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Ray Timm

Tony,

Regarding upwind ability, I don't think there is much difference between the 93 and the 104. Both need to be well powered up and don't like sails that are too big for them. In 18+ knots it will go upwind, but not like one of the new iSonics.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Phill104

I used to have the 104 but now I am totally converted to the iSonics. If you want a burn and turn board then they really are the mutts nuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Duracell

I'd be a little careful giving such advice. Kevin Pritchard just wrote a few days agon in Kevin's corner that he wouldn't want to jump his iSonic. Bump & Jump -> ST.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 01:03 AM   #7
Phill104

Quote:
Duracell wrote:
I'd be a little careful giving such advice. Kevin Pritchard just wrote a few days agon in Kevin's corner that he wouldn't want to jump his iSonic. Bump & Jump -> ST.
Where in this thread has anyone mentioned Bump and Jump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:34 PM   #8
TonyC

Thanks Guys. I hadn't really considered the iSonic as have been out of the sport for 5+ years, hence I thought the S-type would be best - don't know how long it will take me to get back up to speed, nailing the majority of gybes in all conditions etc. Kit has changed so much since I was last windsurfing and the S-Tpye seems much closer to what I was previously sailing, although shorter and probably faster and easier to gybe. Given this, would the iSonic be too hard for gybing for me at this stage? although the upwind ability, earlier planing and greater speed would be nice.
Old 21st May 2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Duracell

Quote:
Where in this thread has anyone mentioned Bump and Jump?
Just something loads of people do when going fast, it might not have been important enough to mention (because its "standard"). You usually dump useless info on the forum, so why complain if someone justs try to make sure the guy gets the right board? BTW 5 years out, might fall -> iS (<145) is wood == will fall apart.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Phill104

TonyC,

The very outboard footstraps and wide style of the iSonics will feel odd at first but you will very quickly get used to it and the way they plane through lulls is superb. The iSonics also have a wider wind range compared to the s-types giving you more time on the water. Gybing is about the same on both not that I&#39;m much good at it.. The S-type is more nimble in the turn but the iSonics have more width in the tail to keem them going. Tacking is a different matter. The iSonic has very little volume in the nose so you really have to get round the front quickly. The S-type has a bit more float up front but you still have to be quick. Upwind the iSonic is almost up there with formula kit when powered up. Last weekend I was out on my iS115 and managed to totally stuff a formula guy..

If you go for the iSonic then volume is going to be a hard choice. In 6.5 weather my iS87 is great and suprisingly easy to sail in light winds that I would not normally consider going out on such a small board. The 115 I use with sails from 6.5 up to 8.5 and when I&#39;ve not had the smaller board with me I have even used it with a 5.5 and it was still ok.

I think Ian Fox would be the best man to ask when it comes to choosing the right volume for you.

If you are into a bit of jumping then the s-type might be a better option and in certain conditions can be faster.

I&#39;m sure there must be somewhere near you that you can demo some kit. Give it a good go on both before you decide as they tend to grow on you. First time I tried the iSonic I wasn&#39;t too sure about it but by the end of my second session I was hooked.

Are Tushingam popular down your way? Here in the UK they are one of the most populer brands faring extremely well against the more expensive brands.

Out of interest, why are you trying to gain weight? Most of us want to loose some, Ive been trying for ages to get from my current 85kg down to 78