Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th May 2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Default Cheap Maui Accommodation - How to do it?

I am thinking about my first trip to Maui and would like to know some cheap options on where to stay for a single guy - only for a couple of weeks.

Would prefer not the hostel style - but maybe a cheap low-quality small room with bathroom.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 02:37 AM   #2
surfer

Default RE: Cheap Maui Accommodation - How to do it?

Try www.spreckshouse.com. They have a few small studios for rent in Sprecks.
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 03:34 AM   #3

Default RE: sprecks accomodations

Iv'e stayed at Bob's properties...
http://www.maui.cc/Bobs.html

There is a large shared yard. There is an external rack to store gear. You can rig in the yard and carry your gear to the launch. A little more costly than some other inexpensive options. But because of the convient location you drive less, sail more and can control cost by cooking.

A couple of the units are small studios.

These units cost less because there is substantial noise from the nearby airport. Flights stop about 10pm so getting a good nights sleep is no problem.

Save some cash for a nice dinner at Mama's fish house.
Old 30th May 2007, 09:25 AM   #4

Default RE: mama's a cheap option

the guys want to go inexpensive to maui then send them to Mamas!!?? . A simple sit down cost you one night on maui or a close to a new dakine harness. Had a local guy in kuau, a down to earth country boy done good tell me its was the biggest ripoff in the islands...
dont waste you money go to the cash and carry beside Kanaha Kai get the filet for a 1.7 USD heck get three and barbecue them at home!
save yiou cash go to the flatybread co in paia and order one of there oven baked pizza and have a longboard "pipeline porter" ontap, unbelievable, brewed with kona coffee.
you can do that 3 times 4 if you can eat the samller pizza or go to mamas.
But IMHO save your seat at mamas for someone who will see maui once, then go back and nurse there bank account from the severe gastronomically induced cash damage...
Old 30th May 2007, 09:00 PM   #5

Default RE: never said mama's was cheap

Didn't mean to imply mama's fish house was cheap. It will cost you more than a dakine seat harness and as much as a day on maui. And yes you can cook it for less at home.

But after eating rice and peas for week to make it on the cheap I had what I thought was an excellent meal at mama's. It was so excellent on my second trip to Maui I went to mama's again. I enjoyed the second meal as much as the first. I'm not rich so it takes sacrifice to afford a trip to the islands. But after scrimping and saving to stay at a place with good windsurfing access spending cash on a good meal seemed worth it.

"biggest ripoff on the islands?". Well, I think the country boy may be exaggerating for effect.

I'll risk getting dissed again. I also spent some hard earned cash to have breakfast at Charlie's in Paia.
Old 30th May 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
steveC

Default RE: Cheap Maui Accommodation - How to do it?

I don't know if Mama's Fish House still offers it, but the seared Ahi appetizer is an awesome value. It's much less expensive than a regular meal, and I found the quality to be outstanding. Actually, I've never had better. That and a couple cocktails, and you'll be styling. Sometimes it's worth it to splurge a bit.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote