Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th May 2007, 04:25 AM   #1

Default Question to Wilhelm Schurman

Hello Wilhelm,

congratulation for the impressive second Place in the Europeans in Santa Pola. Last year your biggest sail was a 10,7. Big enough for a lightweight, you said. This year you compete in the racing fleet with a 11,8. Do you think a 11,8 make sense and is realy necessary even for a lightweight. What do you gain with it? What is the range of this sail for a lightweight? My sails are 10,7, 9,8 (RS Racing) and a 9,0 (North Warp).

Thanks

Ralf
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 06:01 AM   #2

Default RE: Sail size

Hi Ralf,
After the worlds in Korea, I figured I needed the extra power, since I can't recall racing in such marginal conditions, and if that happened again I wanted to be prepared.
So far I have used the 11.8 in Calema mid winters, Santa Pola and at the US open, and at those last two events, we had the winds right at the minimum limit.
The 11.8 gives the extra power needed in these very light conditions to; get of the start faster, hold your angle on the upwind, better downwind, and it is easear to get the board railing as well, specially with the new boards that have a wider tail and handles the big sail great. The sail also holds great if the wind happens to pick up.
For me the 11.8 is perfect from 6-13 knots, if its gusting a bit over that, but with holes, I would still stick to it.
Regards,

Wilhelm
BRA999
Old 18th May 2007, 04:29 PM   #3

Default RE: Question for Wilhelm Schurman

Hello Wilhelm,

thanks for the promtly answer. Despite I do not want believe it, it seems that I am forced to buy a 11.8! What a expensiv need! But at first I will give the 11.8 from a surfbuddy a trial and at second I try to compensate the too small 10.7 by using a powerfull soft fin. Concerning the lightweight-setup of the 10.7: 1.) Do you downhaul the sail till the panel with the NP-Logo is loose? Do you apply always the same downhall tension regardless the windstrength? 2.) I expect, you pull your tack-strap on really hard. But what means really hard. Do you use your legs to apply tension to the tack-strap or do you only pull with your arms? Can I see a wrinkle in the bottom section of the sail to confirm the right amount of tackstrap-tension? 3.) Battens: Do you have the botton four cranked really hard, then progressively less tension and the top two almost no tension? And again, what mean really hard? Only no vertical wrinkles outside and inside the luffsleeve or is this only the starting point for a few (2,3,4,...?) more twists?

Regards and thanks in advance for take the trouble to answer

Ralf
Old 21st May 2007, 11:21 PM   #4

Default RE: Question to Wilhelm Schurman

Hello Wilhelm,

concerning the tension of the bottom four battens I must correct my question above: Micah Buzianis advice in the Neil Pryde Trimmvideo is for sure wrong concerning formula sizes. To crank the tension till the wrinkels inside the luff sleeve go away is way to hard. The effekt is nearly no camber rotation! And you destroy the mast, the extension and the sail. Probably Micahs advice is only good for slalom sizes. No way for formula sizes.

I am looking forward to your answer Wilhelm

Greetings

Ralf
Old 24th May 2007, 03:12 AM   #5

Default RE: hi ralf

Hi Ralf,
It would be good if you could give the 11.8 a try before. Maybe for the winds you will be sailing, you might not needed.
The RS racing, compared to the RS6, looks a lot less downhulled, I do have it lose until the NP logo, but just. I usually have the same setting for most of the winds. But if you are using in very light winds, for sure you can leave it a bit more powerfull with a tad less downhall. The tack-strap, I pull it with the hand and the other hand I hold the sail, so its not super pulled.
As for the batten tenssion, I have the botton four with good preasure, specially the one above and bellow the boom. the top ones, hardly any tenssion. About the amount of preassure, I give it a few turns on the batten tensioner and try to close it, if its very hard, i release a bit. Also make sure, that you always check that the camber are staight in the mast after downhalling.
About the tension for the slalom and formula, I believe that, there is a point that its way to much, and like you said, you lose the rotation. on my formula sails, I do get the rinckle inside the luff sleve. but that does not effect the performance.
Hope this helps,
best regards,
wilhelm
Old 25th May 2007, 03:22 AM   #6

Hello Wilhelm,

thanks a lot for your answer and: give the heavyweights a good dressing down

Ralf
Old 1st June 2007, 04:44 AM   #7

Default RE: Question to Wilhelm

Do you say that RS Racing have less downhull tension that RS 6 ?
Is there more power in the botton section?

About the batten tension, is very dificult to make the wrinkles disappear inside the luff sleeve in the one bove and bellow the boom.
Regards. Roberto[]
Old 1st June 2007, 07:28 PM   #8

Hi Roberto,
I think that the amount of downhall on the sail could be about the same, but the panels look different than the RS6 when it's downhalled. since the leach is thighter in the RS racing. The RS6 I would get the leech lose to the inside alot, with the RS-racing, in the formula sizes, this is a lot less.
I have the same wrinkles in my sails as you mentioned and they are not a problem and do not interfere with the performance at all.
Regards,
wilhelm