Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th September 2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Karen

Default From how many knots does S-Type 137 planes at 87kg

Dear Roger & Ellen

My husband weighs 87 kg (190cm) and doesn't have a good pumping technique.

He has got a FF-158 2004 and a Sailworks Retro 11.0m? for the light winds. He doesn't use it often because he doesn't like to carry big sails.
Like second board he has got an Aero 127 2006. He has used it up to now with a Retro 7.5m? and can plane only from 14 knots on or so. We have just bought a Retro 8.5m? but he didn't use it on the Aero yet. Although he feels that he cannot plane early on the Aero he loves the turny and loose feeling of it.

Now he would like to buy a 3rd board - an S-Type 137 and use it with the Retro 7.5 or 8.5 in the hope that he can plane from 10/11 knots on.
Is that realistic?
Is a 8.5m? on the S-Type 137 not too big for his weight? Once he used my Retro 9.0m? on it and thought that it didn't feel right.
Although I think he might plane earlier with an Isonic 135/133 he thinks he would prefer the turny feeling of the S-Type (he tested it last week).

Looking forward to your reaction

Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:37 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: From how many knots does S-Type 137 planes at 87kg

Hello Karen,
Unfortunately, the Aero 127 is 74 cm wide (considered very wide for a loose and turny wave/B&J board) so I think it's going to plane a bit earlier than the 72 cm wide S-Type 137 (72 cm wide).
But I don't think it's realistic to plane on either of these boards, at 87 Kg.
in 10-11 knots of wind.
With a good solid 12 knots, and the 8.5 m2 Retro, he can probably pump a couple of times, or flutter pump a little bit more and get on plane with good technique, but less than 12 knots for 87 Kg. is probably the domain of wider boards like the '06 Isonic 135 (80 cm wide) ; the '07 Isonic 133 (80 cm wide) and Isonic 145 (88..5 cm wide).
These boards could be made a little more "loose and turny" with a more maneuver oriented freeride type fin, but they will never be as loose as the Aero 127.
Have you tried some larger freeride type fins and alot of different mast foot positions to get a bit better early planing on the Aero 127.
I've had the Aero 117 and found it a bit "sticky" in terms of planing early, but with careful fin selection and experiementing with mast foot positions I was able to improve the early planing characteristics by around 1 knot windspeed down to 11-12 knots (77 kg sailor) with a 7.5 m2 Retro.
For this type of sailing (flatter water) I much preferred the Isonic 115, but when it got a little windier and rougher, I sailed the S-Type 115 quite a bit as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Karen

Default RE: From how many knots does S-Type 137 planes at 87kg

Thanks Roger!

Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote