Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th April 2007, 05:37 AM   #11
Phill104

Default RE: Uphauling a 10 m sail on shortboard (iSonic 133)

You also have to remember that the sail balances the board to some extent and as soon as it becomes clear of the water the point of max float suddenly moves back so you need to shift your weight accordingly.

It's often best to wait for a gust so once the sail rises you can hang off the boom for support and immediately get some forward motion.

All this sounds complicated but a little light wind practice was all it took me to nail it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 12:40 AM   #12
ThierryP

The other day I tried an F-Type 138, 88 cm wide and 222 cm long (compared w/ 80 cm wide and identical length for iSonic 133). Unfortunately the wind initially looked too strong for 10m, so I rigged up my 8.5. Following the advice given above, I placed my front foot right against the mastfoot, and I managed to uphaul without too much difficulty. I also managed to waterstart. However the wind was in fact not as strong as it looked, so this made things easier. I suspect that it would be significantly more challenging to uphaul a 10 m sail on the iSonic 133, as 8 cm less in width, and an extra 1.5 sqm in sail area, make a big difference.
I wanted to try uphauling either my 8.5 or my 10m on my HS 125, but a very nice chap bought it in the morning (it was up for sale), so no chance!
BTW, I was very disappointed with the F-Type 138, and I understand why it was discontinued. It planes early and is an easy board to sail, but it cannot point with its 52 cm fin, and it has no speed. I can point higher with any of my other boards (including the Sonic 85 and the iS 105). It might point higher with a bigger fin, but it will then be even slower! This experience is very different from that of other guys, who have posted rave comments about the FT-138 on this forum.
Cheers,
Thierry
PS: thanks for the tip (using "quick reply") Roger, it works!

ThierryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 02:05 AM   #13
frigobox

Thierry, the F Type 138 was not really discontinued this year, look at the iSonic 145, its shape is nearly the same, except maybe for some more volume, the same for F Type 148 that became iSonic 155. I now have the F Type 148 and find it much easier in the gusts than my old Formula 175.Of course it was the purpose of its softer shape and short nose...Of course it points less high (no boxy rails) but for me so much more fun in the "p├ętole" because much more control and better in maneuvers,
Regards,
Fred
frigobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 07:59 AM   #14
ThierryP

Fred, I can see why some sailors love the F-Type: easy to sail, smooth and forgiving compared with a Formula; but its (in)ability upwind, at least with the stock fin and in slightly underpowered conditions, is surprising. I am not comparing its upwind performance with a Formula, but with small iSonics, that are designed primarily to fly off the wind, but not to track upwind (even though they are very good at the latter).
Old 14th April 2007, 08:21 AM   #15
mark h

Hi Thierry

The FT138 is more compairable with the iS145 & iS155 (both of these are replacements for the F-types and are not "true" light wind slalom boards). The FT138 has much softer rails than the iS133 (a true light wind slalom board). The iS133 has harder rails and like your iS105, it will track up wind better than the FT138 (I always felt that the F-Type used to slightly slip side ways if push to much). The iS133 will feel much crisper than the FT138, but less forgiving.

Uphauling an 8.5m on your old HS125 would have been easy. I have uphauled a 9m wide sleeve race sail on both my old HS105 (it did sink though) and HS125 with no problems.

Speedwise, on flat water, I have touched 31 knots on my old FT158 with my 9m and 49cm Select Superfast fin (not a special fin), so the FT138 should be pretty capable in the right conditions with a bit of tuning.

Cheers

The toys:
Speed W44 - Speed W49 - speed W53 - speed W58 - iS76 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 7.8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 03:03 PM   #16
frigobox

Hi Thierry,
I understand what you mean and I agree with you that rails of F Types and iS 145 or 155 are softer than the ones of other iSonics, that's because F Types were more "freeride"shapes than slalom shapes (and iS 145 and 155 are replacements of F Types thus no real slalom boards).Of course with the stock fin upwind is not so good with a big sail, but the back of the board is so wide that you can easily put a bigger fin and believe me you can fly very quick...Also what I love with this board is its range of use with different fins,combined with soft rails and short nose for smooth character. In fact the problem is that it 's not a true slalom shape like other iSonics.
Cheers,
Fred
frigobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 05:23 PM   #17
ThierryP

Just a quick note to say that I did buy the iSonic 133. I have n ot had a chance to use it with my 10 m yet, but I have sailed it with my 8.5, and the guys above were right, it is very easy to uphaul the 8.5 on this board. I believe it should not be overly difficult to uphaul a 10m on it.
Many thanks to all for the advice given.
I was much happier with the iSonic 133 than I was with the F Type 138: I found the board to track much better upwind, to be much faster, and more fun to ride. I am very impressed with Mark's 31 knots on the FT 1588
Old 30th May 2007, 03:30 PM   #18
Philip

With boards with not much float at the front it also helps to move / steer the board around with feet to find and correct for the best point of balance and angle to the wind to lift the sail - this is a dynamic exercise especially in gusty winds but easier than it might seem.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 03:46 AM   #19
DaveQ

ThierryP,

I agree that you should be easily able to uphaul the 10.0 on the 133.

One thing I have found that helps immensely is the addition of an "easy uphaul" type device on your uphaul line. It is easily made with a length of downhaul line and a small piece of harness line plastic tubing. Very inexpensive and simple to install, but it helps you with dumping the water off the sail to clear the mast and get it up out of the water.

After you dump the water off, and the sail gets close to vertical, the rest is the (phyically)easy part. I can't believe I went so long without using the easy uphaul device...try it, you'll like it.

DaveQ
DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 04:59 PM   #20
ThierryP

Hi Dave,

I have been using an Easy Uphaul for several years, and you are right, it is a very useful accessory!

Thierry