Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 31st May 2007, 06:27 AM   #1

Default Carve 133/144/162

I weigh about 180 pounds and I"m looking for a board to sail in 12 to 16 knots winds what would you suggest? I already have a 115 littre and and 95 littre and my biggest sail is a 7.5 but I need something bigger so I can get out on the water more often. I'm an ok sailor but my jibes could improve so I want a good board to practice jibing.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 04:27 PM   #2
crazychemical

Default RE: Carve 133/144/162

i think the C133 will do just fine with your weight. I weigh the same and sail a 139 litre board in 12-16 knots with my 7.6 which works perfectly. Thoguh you may want to start looking for something like a 8.5 or so for the 12 knots. just a suggestion.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:52 PM   #3

Default RE: more details

I'm currently using a Exocet cross 117 for my medium size board. This board is 69 cm wide. It easily carries a 7.5. I weigh 170 pounds and sail mostly on fresh water. It would probably be a good idea to really think alot about what you expect from this larger board you are considering.

More information about your 115 litre board and where you sail would also be helpful. If this is an older board with a longer narrower shape and you are sailing in fresh water I understand why you are looking for another board for 12 to 16 knots.

But if this is a modern wide short board with a design oriented for early planing and you are sailing in salt water it should be working pretty well in 12 to 16 knots with a 7.5.

For my large board I have an f-type 148. I use this board with a 9.5 retro and the stock fin that came with the board. I also have a true ames shallow water weed fin thats 51cm for weedy conditions.

I stayed away from the carves because I really wanted to increase my time on the water. I admit the f-type does kind of gybe like a door. But I have sailed it in 5-10knot onshore conditions with 2 - 4 ft waves and had alot of fun with it. This 5-10 knot day was leaving kiteboarders with 16 meter kites stranded on the beach. I was able to bob out through the break and was on plane about 1/2 the time. It was enjoyable to bank this big board off a 4 foot wave and play around with small chop hops when on plane.

All the extra days I have been able to sail with this larger board has greatly improved my gybes on my cross 117 and the old 85 liter mistral screamer I use for my high wind board. It has also provided a stable platform to improve my quick tack.

Once again my focus was on spending alot more time on the water. I sail on the great lakes around Michigan and on small lakes in Michigan. It's about a 45 minute drive for me to get to lake Erie. This is the closest access to big water from my house. Having the F-type 148 and 9.5 meter sail insures that if I make the drive I'll be able to sail unless there is no wind at all.

In 12 to 16 knots I have to decide if I want to take out the F-type and be fully powered up and planing all the time or take out the cross117 with a 7.5 V8 and really have to work for my rides. If it's onshore I'll take the cross since it's a blast to gybe and bank off small waves. If it's offshore sometimes I'll use the F-type since it's so much easier to drive it up wind to get back home.

So if it's really 12 to 16 knots you're looking for maybe the carve is a good choice. For me there just seemed to be too much overlap with my middle board and not enough increase in sailing time for the money spent. The f-type is not as loose and doesn't turn as well but for me the extra time on the water and on plane was more important.
Old 4th June 2007, 08:12 PM   #4

Default RE: 133/144/162

My 115 is a Thommen X115, it's a 2005 model and it's 64 cm wide. I agree with what you are saying I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference between my 115 and a carve 133 but maybe the 144 would allow me to get on the water more often. I mostly sail in the ocean in South California but my idea of a bigger board was just to be able to spend more time on the water, My 115 is fine with my 7.5 in 16 to 18 mph of wind but when the wind drops off below 16 it's a real job to try to water start a 7.5 and forget about uphauling on the 115. What year is you F type and how wide is it? if you don't think the carve is enough of a difference what board do you suggest?
Old 5th June 2007, 12:07 AM   #5

Default RE: my f-type

My f-type is a 2006. It is 96cm wide. As I mentioned I weigh 170lbs. For my skills the plaining threshold with a 9.5 retro and the stock fin is 10 or 11 knots. I've used it in alot less wind just to get out on the water.

I've seen alot of users on the starboard forums that go from this board to something around 100 liters.

I've never sailed the carves so don't really have any feed back for you on the carves. Roger or anyone else an have opinion about the carves as the next board up from a thommen x115?

The F-type is easy to uphaul in any conditions. It will easily float you at 180lbs. Another factor for me was that the f-type easily fits in my van. So I can drive to work with all my gear locked up in the van and head out after work to sail.

I went with the f-type becasue I wanted to plain as early as possible without the locked in feel of a full on formula board. As wide as this board is and with a 9.5 I still am not too overpowered before I am up and plaining on the cross117 and the 7.5. That said the cross 117 is a very early plaining short board. At 70cm wide it really doesn't take much to get it on top of the water. However before I had the cross I was using a Naish 8'11" 104 liter board. The transition from the f-type to the Naish was still okay. So if you really want to plain and get out on the water I can recommend something like the f-type. The f-types aren't in the starboard line anymore. The I-sonic 145 looks like it would sail very similar. Maybe even gybe a little looser since it's not so wide. Both the I-sonic 145 and 155 have inboard foot strap settings. I used these settings at first. Once I got used to the board I moved the straps out and find the outboard position very comfortable.

Another board I considered was the Exocet Kona. I haven't heard of anyone who was disappointed in the board. But I really didn't want to deal with strapping a board on the top of my van and having to secure it against theft some how.

I've enjoyed the f-type enough that I'm considering buying an 11.0m free race sail and a 70cm fin. I was really surprised at how a 9.5 sail doesn't seem as huge as I thought it would. And even though the f-type makes a wide gybe it's still fun to get out on the water and be plaining when before I'd have been slogging around.

So for me no regrets about buying a board very focused on light wind. The only real draw back is the board makes a pretty drawn out gybe. The more I sail it though the better I'm getting at driving it through a gybe harder.

You might see if you can get the user o2bnme to give you more feed back on the f-type 148. He has one. Maybe roger can give some feedback about the 144 carve or 145 i-sonic.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Mezza30

Default RE: Carve 133/144/162

at your weight, you certainly do not need a Carve 162 (I wonder if anyone does), and the F-Type is a nice board but so very different to the rest of your quiver that you have to wonder if it makes sense to include it.
If you just want to entend your quiver at the top end a little, for instance by including an 8.5m sail. I would suggest you go for a Carve 133. It will plane early, its actually quite fast these days and its still agile enough to be fun in a little chop
Mezza30 is offline   Reply With Quote