Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th June 2007, 01:52 AM   #11
AlexWind

Default RE: Replacing my S-type 115

I got the ST93 for a target next to yours and I think it's a superbe board, very good even in choppy conditions..
Now, considering you're 13kg heavier maybe the ST104 is your "way to go"..

P.S. I got the D.Ram construction, I've heard wood is a bit more direct but many has report some breakings..
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 02:21 AM   #12
Phill104

Of all the wood boards I have seen or owned I've never had a problem. Considering how badly I treat my boards (especially by leaving them wet in their bags) and how often I sail this must say something good about their construction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Duracell

Quote:
Phill104 wrote:
Of all the wood boards I have seen or owned I've never had a problem. Considering how badly I treat my boards (especially by leaving them wet in their bags) and how often I sail this must say something good about their construction.
humor yourself:
take 10 coins (something like a quarter or euro) don't think you'll need that many)
start:
drop 1 coin from 1 meter onto your board
(ding?) -> stop, how many coins (<=3?)?
(no ding)-> tape that coin(s) to another coin and repeat (goto start

my Is133 already got a ding from a fin (40cm) head that slipped out of its sheath and fell 10-15 cm.

I love the performance of the board but the quality sucks. I would have gotten it in technora but only available from iS145 on.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 04:06 PM   #14
matty

Duracell,

Looks like you&#39;re back to your usual happy self again.

If wood boards were truely that bad then *board wouldn&#39;t be able to sell any. But they sell loads, probably more boards than any other manufacturer. Why is that?

matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 04:35 PM   #15
AlexWind

Oh well, that&#39;s why they sell two boards for almost each type: you&#39;d chose wood if you like no-compromise-performance, lightness, stiffness, even sacrificeing a bit of durability; you&#39;d chose technora if you prefer a stronger board for more than one season maybe..

Both are good for the purposal they&#39;re ment to..
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 05:59 PM   #16
Klint

Well, I certainly expect my *board woodies to last more than one season. I already have an iSonic wood and Kombat wood, no problems so far.

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 09:04 PM   #17
Screamer

Duracell
If this is going to make you feel better, my JP slalom (full carbon construction) also dinged from a dropped finhead. And from rocky beaches. And from oversize extension pulleys. And from kiteboard fins (don&#39;t ask). Etc.....(although I can&#39;t believe your fin dropped was from a 10 cm height).
From my experience, I don&#39;t think there is a significant difference in durability between (similar class) boards from different manufacturers.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 10:20 PM   #18
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I am on my 2nd season of heavy usage (F-Type 148 Wood). It was Roger&#39;s demo board for a year prior to me getting my hands on it. It has a few repairs from being abused while out on demo, but I would expect that. I have had no real issues with mine. It is holding up very well. Then again, I have yet to really damage a board more than a small ding here or there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 04:59 AM   #19
Phill104

Duracell

It would be interesting to know the percentage of wood boards and the percentage of dram boards that get returned/repaired under warranty. Having said that, I bet most returned boards are damaged by couriers during shipping to the dealer.

Apart from catapult damage (which would hurt the nose of any board) and the odd chip on the rails, I&#39;ve rarely seen damage to the wood dram boards. It&#39;s true that modern construction is less robust than boards of old but if the market demands a higher performing and lighter board then we must expect some compromises. Imagine the weight of an injection moulded formula board

All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 02:09 PM   #20
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Andy/Klint,

The ST93 is definitely a good fun choice - and would size between K87 and iS122 much better than most think (this also allowing for the fact that the 122 has a very useful "upper " wind range as well, which will get you nicely into ST93 6.0-6.5m territory) ST 93 won&#39;t do so good with 7m/85kg.

iS101 is definitely a more freeridy race solution than classic slalom boards of that volume and also fits very nicely (both by size and more importantly effective range) between the K87 and iS122 - but carrying the proviso the ride is really more "slalom" style and not the B&J ride (or construction) of the ST93.

ST104 also fit&#39;s ideally, and if you really want this new midsize board to have a lot of 7m range, but still the reactive, less locked down ride of the iS101, then the ST104 could be a better compromise.
But if you&#39;re not too concerned about compromising 7m use on the mid board, then think about ST93 as being an exciting and versatile option.

Cheers ~ Ian

Seasons : many
Present : many (inc) ST93 and K87(with minor ding from ST93 TT head dropped ~1m)
Yes, it slipped out of the sheath. And yes, I was pissed off ! true !
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote