Old 17th June 2007, 04:07 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default rolling sails

I find that my new redline 7.6 is now fuill of deep wrinkles. I havn't used it yet, rigged it once, and they weren't there when I did rig it the first time, but now, just bringing it back and forth from my local sailing spot has gotten it MASSIVE and DEEP wrinkles which I don't like the look of. Is there something that I am doing wrong on rolling? Is there a special technique I don't know about? I do not like the look of them, its like the sail was folded and is that kind of "crease" or someone just stepped on the sail

HELP! I don't want my investments to be ruined like that.

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 07:45 AM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: rolling sails

I'm not sure what to say to that. You should roll the sail the same why it came to you. Most sails are rolled so the top is on the inside and the bottom is on the outside. Roll it tight enough so it provides its own stiffness, but not so tight that it can't dry out if needbe.

Maybe another question would be how are they getting stored and transported? Are you storing them with stuff on top of them? Bad idea. Are you transporting them on top of a car with a set of straps securing them to the top? This can cause wrinkles if you are cinching down on the sail instead of spreading the load over a wider area. I used to put my sails in a cargo box so that I didn't have to do this. Now, I use a windsurfing trailer, so, again, I never use straps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

I place them in my car, with nothing on them. I roll them from the top, down to the bottom, trying to make the battens parallel to each other if I can. I secure them with theh tackstrap so they stay rolled up or the elastic thing for the naish sail. Do the battens have to line up? I find if you roll it and the battens are lines up, it allows for a much neater roll. You can pull the clew and hold the roll to make them parallel. I roll them and at the top, its a nice tight roll and there are no creases that I can see. At the bottom, when I am almost finished rolling, the roll gets loose from the battens pushing up with their curve (I even take the tension off them) and make the sail roll loose.

Thomas
Old 17th June 2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
O2bnme has it right.
Try rolling your sail down the leech.
In other words, get the head cap and top of the sail rolled really nice and tight.
Then move your hands out and roll the sail dwon the leech.
The battens in most sails will line up automatically if you roll the sail
from out near the leech.
Ummmm.. if your battens are "bowing" with all the mast tension out of the sail, I think you might be over tensioning the batten tensioners a bit.
It should not be necessary to back off the batten tension to simply roll up the sail.
Not sure where your "creases" are coming from.
Sounds like you are treating the sails pretty well.
Where do you store them and are they laid flat or standing on end?
My demo sails do about 30,000-50,000 miles a year and are stored 1 or 2 deep on a flat plywood rack in the top of my truck.
I ddon't get any wrinkles at all.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
windsurferdagg

This is what confuses me. I release all batten tention and they still bow somehow. I store them on a piece of plywood just like you, only I don't have anything ontop of them at all. This is what made me ask. They are very deep near the foot of the sail, but I roll them tightly and at the top, they roll nice and tightly, but down near the 5th batten down, crease and wrinkle city.

They can't all be from putting the mast in could they? Is there a way with my standard diametre mast to not have it crinkle so much in the luff? There are a few wrinkles there, but its mostly xply.

tks for the tips, sailcare is important for guys like me.... we can barly afford the gear every 5 years
Old 19th June 2007, 12:36 AM   #6
wsurfn

That is odd... Get a windsurfing friend to check things out. A second set of eyes might spot the problem.

Make sure if you stand them upright when rolled up, that the luff and not the leech is down.
wsurfn is offline   Reply With Quote