Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th June 2007, 03:39 AM   #1

Default Maui GPS V-MAX Speed Challenge Series: #1

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 18, 2007

Maui, HI -- The first Maui GPS V-Max Speed Challenge took place Friday off of Sprecklesville Beach, Maui. With easterly winds gusting to 35 knots and all afternoon to sail some very high speeds were posted considering the choppy conditions and 2-3 ft wind swell. Anders Bringdal set the highest speed of the day with a blistering 37.7 kts through the upper sprecks breakers,"I was unhooking once I was up to speed because it was too freaky". Jaques Pauvert was 2nd at 37.2 kts right before taking a massive over the front perl-crash.

Anders Bringdal said, "I saw Jaques crash and it was the nastiest thing I have seen in a few years". Third was windsurfing legend Robby Naish at 36.6 kts, again through the breakers and with the occasional 20 ft high long jump much to the delight of everyone in the beach. Alex Aguera stopped in after work missing the strongest wind but still posted a 36.5 kts for 4th after relentlessly working the upper reef. In 5th place event organizer and 2 time world record holder Erik Beale at 35.3kts. "I tacked up to secrets but only got 1 run in before getting atomized". A broken boom & buckled board ending his day.

Fastest wave board rider was Dennis Vanderpanne at 29.1 kts. He is on Maui for a windsurfing vacation and could not believe his luck at participating in a speed challenge with his hero Robby Naish. Kai Lenny was the only pro kid, motored to a 27.8 kts and was stoked to get some runs in. Fastest Women was Sprecks massage guru Twila Folden at 22.0 kts. "I was too scared to go any faster".

All in all everyone was happy, with a relaxed atmosphere and a format that allowed people to do as many runs as they liked and come and go as they pleased,they could still participate even if they had work commitments. Potentially up to 6 more events will take place through June / July.

RESULTS:
Name speed -Knots/10 sec
average gear / pro/amateur

1 Anders Bringdal
37.7 speed - pro

2 Jaques Pauvert
37.2 speed - am

3 Robby Naish
36.6 speed - pro

4 Alex Aguera
36.5 speed - pro

5 Erik Beale
35.3 speed - pro

6 Peter John
34.4 slalom - pro

7 Matt Daniells
32.8 slalom - am

8 Mike Warmuth
32.1 slalom - am

9 Dennis Vanderpanne
29.1 wave - am

10 Martin Mischler
27.9 wave - am

11 Nathan Corridon
27.9 wave - am

12 Kai Lenny
27.8 slalom - pro kid

13 Tom Hammerton
26.8 slalom - am

14 Alan Taylor
26.7 wave - am

15 Nicolas Stritt
23.8 wave - am

16 Twila Folden
22.0 wave - am

17 Robert Kluijtmans
21.3 wave - am

18 James Fosbinder
20.6 wave - am

19 Stephanie Mischler
19.6 wave - am

20 Nicola Taylor
19.1 wave - am

OVERVIEW:
The Maui GPS V-Max Speed Challenge Series, is a new speed series organized by two time world speed record holder, Erik Beale. This Speed Challenge Series differs from the Navman Speed Series in that this series is ALL about TOP SPEED, your V-Max. This series is also not tied down to any one location, but to a number of locations, depending on the conditions. The Maui GPS V-Max team is going to be scouting the best speed sailing location on Maui in an effort to break the 40kt barrier set by the previous speed series.The location of the speed sessions are not pre-planned but are announced with 24-hour notice, and there is a SPEED HOTLINE that you call to find out WHEN and WHERE it is happening (808-283-3588). The spees sessions will last from noon time till 6pm to give people a chance to get off work and make it down to the beach to put in some speed times. Hosted by Erik Beale. "The goal is to break 40 knots open ocean, so we are looking for the fastest 10 second stretch of water off of Maui. We will be using gps set to 10 sec interval as in the Navman series last year." Sailors who are expected to participate include the fastest from thelast two years of the Navman series : Anders Bringdal, Erik Beale, Alex Aguera, Jaques Pauvert and Robby Naish. There are no set heats or anything, people can do as many runs as they want and stay as long or as little as they like.

For the latest news and results, visit our website at: http://www.mauiwindsurfing.org/mauispeed/
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote