Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th June 2007, 03:38 AM   #11
Duracell

Default RE: I sonic 145 VS F-Type 138

Hi Erik,

no tuning == carve (but your brother doesn't think its fast (gps? (have since a few days a C133T but am still waiting for a decent test day, but man that board is fully balanced == 0 tecnique necessary)))

HTS Superfast might be what he is looking for (should they still be in business), true plug an play like the carve but lighter. Sorry about your other choices, just don't know those boards.

SteveC
iS is designed for a very narrow application like all other full blood slamon boards. Built for high performance over a very short period (iS, Manta whatever, I think they all would fail the coin test (sooner or later, wood a bit sooner))
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 07:53 AM   #12
steveC

Hi Duracell,

I know from your more recent posts, that durability has been worrisome point in your experiences, particularly regarding wood boards. From my experiences, each of us can be uniquely tough on different windsurfing products, especially the bigger/heavier sailors that drive things real hard. Although I'm not really big or heavy, my abilities to find shortcomings, especially with booms, is uncanny. Somehow my style really tests booms, as I have destroyed almost every boom I've ever owned. I haven't touched an aluminum boom in 14 years because they were such a bummer for me. One year, I broke 6 front ends, and that was the absolute end of the world for aluminum, any aluminum in my mind. However, I'm opening up a little bit, but that would only concern the possibility of using an aluminum mast extension.

Regarding your position that full blood slalom boards are designed for a very narrow application, I would have to respectfully disagree. However, I have to qualify my position a bit, because not all the designs/brands out there are friendly in every respect, as your opinion is certainly based on real personal experiences, and very likely those of others out there, like Erik's brother.

Like I suggested earlier, I've been extremely lucky with my slalom boards. They been so balanced and controlled, but lightening quick. In addition, they last. Although I just got a new slalom board (which is very modern and quick), I'm going to still keep my 1999 slalom board in the van too, because is does so well in the surf. In the surf? Yeah, in less critical type applications (not in off the lip top to bottom sections) it holds it's own with a special slashy character. Being a narrow board (55.5cm) with a notably narrow tail too, it carves quite quickly with great speed, despite outboard placed straps. Honestly though, the strap placement on my new slalom is even more outboard. Yet, the new board is much shorter, but wider at both the mid point and the tail.

You might say, I still like both the new and old worlds. Just cause new friends enter our lives, that doesn't mean that the older ones are necessarily out the door.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

Thx for reply's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 04:56 PM   #14
Duracell

SteveC

I share your uncanny ability to break every alu boom, some didn&#39;t even last 2 months. Furthermore I&#39;ve gone through 3-4 harness hooks, lines (harness seats too) in 1 season. DRAM and technora boards don&#39;t seam to fall apart. narrow wood boards (<= ~ 64cm) neither. Any wide and light board (like for slamon/formula) that is made out of wood or carbon is bound to fall apart. Wood cracks a bit earlier, carbon a bit later, carbon is easier to repair.

And yes slalom boards are designed for a very narrow application: fast & furious till the end of the race no matter what. You just might need a couple of them to compete a full season .
Old 27th June 2007, 06:41 PM   #15
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

I have broken 1 boom: North alu (2004)

Bended a few alu booms.

Now I have AMEX carbon boom 160-220. It is still in 1 piece after:
3000km = 1850 miles
Average overall speed is 25km/h
Hitting topspeed (yesterday) 77kmh = 42 knots
max 500m of 68kmh = 38 knots
max average 1 hour = 41kmh = 25 knots

AMEX boom is same as:

Prolimit
Gaastra
KA
and many more

The boom works for me . However I dont crash very often had this year just a few 60kmh+ crashes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 11:25 PM   #16
Duracell

booms etc. usually fall apart due to pumping and hanging from them (crashes, wouldn&#39;t know haven&#39;t crashed into anything yet, TV was a near miss on a trami day ). Usually they fall apart on a reach (really nice).
Old 29th June 2007, 05:10 AM   #17
rod_r

Eric, I&#39;m a bit like you brother. I have gone through quite a few Starboards, some I didn&#39;t like or shouldn&#39;t have bought, and a few times I&#39;ve gone back to a previous board.

Right now I have a 2001 F155 which is a board I had 3 years ago, and the minute I got on it, it&#39;s been easy, comfortable and fast.

It doesn&#39;t have to be new to be better.
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote