Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th July 2007, 07:09 AM   #1
kwin

Default Carve 133 fins sizes

Hi

I have just bought a carve 133 with the standard fin. I have 6m 7.5m and 9m retro's. I sail on the sea and draft is not an issue. My weight is 92kgs. What other fins should I be looking at in order to maximise my use of the board at the ends of the spectrum. By the way I love the board.

Cheers
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 04:28 PM   #2
crazychemical

Default RE: Carve 133 fins sizes

I think the stock fin will cover a lot of your ground. Especially the 6.0 and the 7.5 will work super with the 46 cm stock fin. You could, if you want try a more freeride fin for the 6.0 in heavier conditions, something like the select ride fin, i'd estimate around 43 cm, but certainly not smaller.
for the 9.0, you could go for a bigger fn, about 50 cm, near vertical fin like the drake R13 if you want to more race like manouvers.
I don't use a carve, but the go with simular volume and with the drake R13 stock fin of 48 cm wich i use with my 7.6 mainly, even with my 6.2 when the wind is right (though i don't recommend it, you can't controle the board anymore). And i think i can pump that fin up to an 8.5 m² sail so i don't think you'll need to go over 50 for your 9.0.
Old 9th July 2007, 06:53 AM   #3
kwin

thanks very much - very helpfull
Old 11th July 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello kwin,
I almost agree with Crazy Chemical here, about the stock fin covering most of your needs, but you are a pretty big sailor (@ 92 Kg. (202.8 lbs.)) so the stock Drake Freeride Drive II 460 fin may not be enough for your 9.0 m2 rig.
I'd look for a little more vertical 50-52 cm fin to help you to get going when you are in marginal conditions for the board.
Don't expect any really early planing with the 133 liter board and a 92 Kg. sailor, but the big sail/big fin combo should help your to get going as early as possible.
Hope this helps,
P.S. The GO 139 CC rides is quite a bit wider at the back as well as wider over all, so it can handle an even larger fin to enhance the early planing, but this may slow the board on the top end.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 12:15 PM   #5
kwin

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply. 50-52 cm sounds good for the light wind end. I also have a go 170 litre I tend to use for the real early planing but I prefer sailing the carve if at all possible. What size at the heavy end? I have sailed the boardwith a 6m in 25 or so knots and flattish water with the standard fin and I was surprised at how controllable it is, but I assume that a smaller fin may be preferable.

cheers

Nigel
Old 15th July 2007, 11:24 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nigel,
I'd suggest a smaller 40-42 cm fin for higher wind conditions, but after about 18-20 knots, you really need a smaller (less volume and width) board (unless you are sailing in lots of wind but no chop somehow).
Any smaller than 40 cm and I think your upwind is going to suffer and you may be on the brink of spinout too much of the time.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote