Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th July 2007, 04:02 PM   #21

Default RE: easy cam

When you say the better cam rotation is the code red 07, have you think the new rs racing with ultra cam? Have yoy ever tested before say it for code red? I'm not sure, in many magazines they say the new rs racing have a revolution cam, an automatic cam and so better (i think) than the code red
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 04:23 PM   #22
geo

Default RE: Race sails

NP always have so much revolutionary things... revolutionary cams, that actually are needed to solve rotation troubles... revolutionary materials, that actually are coloured or printed film, to the detriment of mechanical properties... now even revolutionary 6 months warranties on masts, that actually are needed because they can't afford standard 2 years warranties... I am so tired with NP.
What I can say is that my own race sails have smooth rotation, with their standard cams; full thickness full strength transparent standard film; and go on light responsive full carbon masts with full warranty.

Of course NP will go on selling for premium prices as long as some people will go on believing that "revolutionary" "automatic" cams are needed to achieve cam rotation.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 05:50 AM   #23
Screamer

You forgot the revolutionary Shear Tip, with a lifespan of a few dozen sessions
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 04:29 PM   #24
geo

I think I am forgetting plenty...
Old 19th July 2007, 07:35 AM   #25

Mixing masts of brand A with sails of brand B often works adequately but not for your 'best' race sails. If on a budget a good strategy is to spend up on a race sail to cover your most critical area of operation, then buy lesser sails to cover the rest. There are no shortcuts with race sails - you get what you pay for as someone has to pay for the ongoing R&D -however due to the shorter design life of such sails I suspect that the profit margins may be lower than for freeride sails.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 03:23 PM   #26
geo

Quote:
Guest wrote:
There are no shortcuts with race sails - you get what you pay for ...
IMvvvHO there are quite a few exceptions.
I would say that it is a good idea to choose solid designs and avoid brands that ask for premium prices because mostly of market position and/or marketing costs; expecially if one is on a budget.
By sure I would suggest not to spare on masts; probably mast quality is even more important than sail design, expecially for sails requiring 100% masts. It's easier to sense mast quality differences than to sense sail model year design differences between good race sails.