Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th July 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Diggers

Default Complimentary board for Evo 74?

Hi

I currently ride an 06 Evo 74 which is my favourite wave board. I weigh 85kg and am looking for a bigger board to compliment the Evo in lighter wind waveriding conditions. The conditions I want to use the bigger board in are mostly down-the-line (Gnaraloo) so wave riding performance is the most important factor. I've used an 04 Fanatic Freewave 85 there before but found the board too stiff for doing good turns.

What sort of board dimensions would ideally suit my needs? And what boards can you recommend?

Any ideas / advice appreciated.
Diggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Complimentary board for Evo 74?

Do you find the FW 85 to have enough volume? In that case I'm sure the EVO 80 07 will take your breath away as a light wind riding board. You could go for a more trad shape to (ie Pure Acid 80 or 86) but since you like the E74, I think the EVO 80 will be the best bet. Its a phenomenal riding board for its size. In practice the 80 is will not feel significantly smaller when schlogging than your fw85.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Diggers

Thanks for your reply Ola. The Evo 80 sounds like a good call. I'll demo one and try an Acid to compare.
Diggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 02:55 AM   #4
griff

i have an evo 74'06 as well as a 83 '06. perfect match. 83 is really planing very fast and perfect for sails 5.7-5.3 and 4.7 is also okay. Big day -> evo 74.

I am 83 kg and planing with 5.7 at about 16knots
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 05:36 AM   #5
sailpower

Send a message via MSN to sailpower

Hi Diggers,

I weight 81kg and I have an 07 acid 74 and 07 evo 80. It's a nice combo for 4.2 to 5.7. Evo is perfect for light wind but I choose to change for 08 and buy an acid 86. I think acid will better in down the line conditions and fast wave. I find Evo a little difficult to control in long bottoms in down the line conditions. In small/medium slow waves Evo have a great carving. For Gnaraloo maybe the acid will be better. I think it would be my choose.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote