Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th September 2006, 03:39 PM   #1
keith Atkinson

Send a message via Skype™ to keith Atkinson
Default Starboard Appollo/Formula Windsurfing

The next generation in Formula Windsurfing equipment. I have seen the Appollo at the Formula Windsurfing World Championships here in Korea, i have to say i am very excited to try this board. as i think this concept, with the 75cm fin will enable windsurfers to plane earlier, and maintain speed through the lightest of lulls. as soon as i saw it, i said i want one!

I, as do many other windsurfers, live inland. This means that you can maximise time sailing at your local lake by having a board like the Appollo. Congratulations Starboard, we are one step closer for a formula board being an olympic class board. For the good of our sport, this is what we need to push for.

why? because Formula windsurfing is a class for which the equipment is at it's peak in performance, and continually developing every year. This makes Formula the most exciting lightwind racing discipline in the world. Also, If you havent tried it, you really should, your missing out bigtime.

I hear people saying "but i dont want to use something so big". you don't realise how easy formula boards are to sail. With a big formula-style board, you have awesome lightwind performance, effotless acceleration, and you will maximise the time on the water when you get to the beach. when you make the effort to go to the beach, you put a formula style board in your quiver, i guarantee you'll get more hours on the water. why sit on the beach in 9 knots or less, when you can have fun out there on a big board. all freeride sailors out there, go for the Isonic range 145 or 155. They are a less technical, friendlier, easy to sail version of the Formula 160/161.

Good sailing.
Keith AtkinsonB)
keith Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:50 PM   #2
G

Default RE: Starboard Appollo/Formula Windsurfing

Hi Keith,thanks for your opinion.Like many people out here I'd like to know which is the choice to do this next season.I've guessed to go for 161 as it's a more versatile board that should cover strong wind too but I'm curious about what is the dead line compared to Apollo.I mean,how many wind needs to make 161 overtaken the Apollo (using same sail,same fin,same sailor) ?
Thank you
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
keith Atkinson

Hi G,
So I am told, the Appollo is a great board for lighter winds, up to 12-13 knots. then the Formula 161 is overtaking with better speed only. I am desperate to try the Appollo myself, i will try it with a 70cm fin whilst i am here in Korea. This is a lightwind venue also, so its a perfect opportunity to give some feedback on performance. to look at, the appollo is longer, and thinner in the nose. whilst the tail is wider and thicker. perfect for lake sailing, and also light wind formula races (under 12-13 knots) which, thinking about it, is a good percentage of all formula races that we race in, nationally and internationally.

all the best
Keith
Old 8th September 2006, 04:27 PM   #4
G

Still thank you Keith.
I'll wait for your Korean Apollo and 161 report.I live where wind is usually stronger than 12 kns so....
I wonder hoe new F2 with such wide tail will work too.
Old 8th September 2006, 04:44 PM   #5
keith Atkinson

no problem. Lucky you!
the F2 is a technical board and takes longer to make the board go fast. if your looking for ultimate performance with minimum effort, i'd go for the Starboard everytime...that is my unbiased opinion.

keep your eyes open for my feedback.
Keith
Old 8th September 2006, 05:39 PM   #6
G

Yes,I know.After 3 seasons with Starboard this year I switched for another brand and I passed too much time on trimming and still I don't understand how make the board perform like 159!!!!!
Hey Keith,don't you're backing home from Korea?
When you'll be able to test the boards?
Old 8th September 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
keith Atkinson

Hi G

thats right, you can jump on the starboard and go fast with ease. i will be home in 5 days. i will test the board here, and i will test the board and give a full report when i know more...

best wishes
Keith
Old 13th September 2006, 04:49 PM   #8
G

Hey Keith,any 161 or Apollo feedback?
Thank you
Old 14th September 2006, 03:43 AM   #9
Ken

Keith,

There is a down side to the Apollo and Formula racing.

If you want to be as competitive as possible, you will have to travel with two formula boards, selecting the one the will work best when you arrive at the race.

Anyone racing an Apollo in Korea would have kicked butt. The playing field will never be level when people are on different boards. This assumes that all of today's formula boards are relatively equal.

Why not design a high wind formula board for those 25 knot+ days, then we can carry three boards to the formula events. Or you can change the rules and go to 3 boards and 3 sails. Of course, this goes in the opposite direction for which formula racing was conceived.

There is nothing in the current rules against having two boards at an event, you just have to choose one to use for the entire regatta. For us one board racers, It's going to cost us bunch of money to keep up with the guys with two boards.

I think you get my point.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 10:23 AM   #10
GeorgeUSA39

Ken,

I hear what you are saying, but shouldn't Starboard be applauded for attempting to lowering the planing threshold? Realistically TOW is the biggest factor in FW racing, gear is important but sailing 3 times a week will take you farther than that new fin.

George
GeorgeUSA39 is offline   Reply With Quote