Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th March 2007, 09:17 PM   #11
G

Default RE: 101 or 111

Finally I've found both 101 and 111 from a very far dealer.We stay here talking about what's the right choice for long time but when you decide to buy the board it seems there's no way to get it because of our national distributor strategy......
Anyway.
Considering my 82 kg and a very normal attitude to keep the board ride,would you please tell me the wind and sail range of both board ? Note that I'd like to know not the wider spectrum but just hte ideal.
Thank you all
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 03:11 PM   #12
geo

I can't believe this. I must admit racing is really a world apart. I am about the weight of G, but, in "at least 19/20 kns", I'd never dream of choosing anything bigger and wider than a S85/i87 or S100/95/i94. Guess that an iS87 with a 6.5 or so would kill everything else in the water in such nice conditions.
Don't get me wrong: I'm just guessing and asking, not stating!
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 04:12 PM   #13
G

Hi geo,please note that in the real world slalom racing is raced in gusty wind.Unfortunately not many racing sites are similar to Pozo, France or Maui and regional/national racers aren't so good as top sailors are.
In order of this easy and helpfull stuff results much more agreable then different philosophy combos.
I had a lot of doubts too in these last days but I've choosen to bet for allround combo.
I believe isonics can give me the confidence I can go bigger than what it really needs ( from what Ian states ) .
When I read that isonics are boards that doesn't comunicate with the rider I smile because all what I need during a slalom is being fast (possibly fastest) with no regard for the stuff (control,speed,jibe,accelleration,ecc....) .
Racing requires different priorities than blasting around with a couple of guys.
That's just mu guess.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:17 PM   #14
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

In 20 knots last weekend, a friend tried my iSonic 105 with a 5.6 Hucker. He ran to the outer buoy and back (we just finished club racing on a figure 8 course). He knew he hadn't unlocked all the speed in the board, but I could see he was a lot faster than I was on it. He is 86 kg. I'm 65 kg. He used my sail for the testdrive.

During the races, I was slightly faster on my iSonic 105 than he was on his Hypersonic 105. He has an older Gaastra. I had my Hucker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 04:14 PM   #15
G

Hallo people,
after having used my 111 lot of times I'll try to report my opinion.
I've used the board with 6,8 the great part of time but have done couple of sailing in 7,8 too.The fin was just one: 37 microfin .
This season I'm very trained and,for more info,I own a smaller slalom board. In order to our championship rules we go for slalom in at least 17 kns and we can register just one board for it.This made me decide to sail only in 111 and not with the smaller one.
I had the opportunity to really push hard and keep out every aspect of the board.
When really light (gusty 12 kns) I'm not the best planner with my 7,8 rsr but once the wind get stable there's no problem at all.Accelleration is nice (THE SAME of F2 sx M) and control is great.In this range no particular sailor's attitudes are requested.Jibes are a dream with strong attitude to stay in planning mode after having jibed.
When the wind increase (14-20 kns) you can stay in 7,8 easily.The nose NEVER lift up (you just have to right trim the mast base) while sailing at the right way to not put the board into the chop! Now I understand what Ian said when stated that you need an active style for best ride this board.Just close the gap,put your foot into the footstraps and PUSH !! The board will lift you up anf flies over the water in any sea condition.
When really powered up (20-32 kns) I switch for 6,8 warp 2007,just move 1 cm forward the mast base,and play the game.other boards start to fly away and need to reduce fin or sail but I continue my sailing day in the same combo.Sometimes I should reduce the fin but I didn't it to test....
In those condition you must stay concentrate but NEVEr give up.Only the powered style will pay off!I had some problem to find the rear strap (like many other F2 riders) but nothing special.Control is the best part of sailing in 111 this condition.
In the beginning of season I've heard too much about isonics speed and was scared but today I can state that IF it is so starboard regain the gap in control, accelleration after jibe and "replacement" attitudes.Please remember that competitions are between 2 marks....

just my 2 cents
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Ken

Ian, G,

Interesting discussion,

I too am trying to decide on which isonic to buy, and from a few months of reading various threads on the boards, I think I will go for the 111 (or its 2008 replacement).

I weigh 80 kg and sail inland in Texas, so steady winds don't exist. A normal spring or fall windy day = winds ranging from 10 to 25 knots. Bigger boards are generally the call in order to get through the 10 knot holes.

For free sailing, I have a F160 which I use up to about 20 knots, then I change down to a 105L Hi Fly Move with a 6.5.

I am thinking the isonic 111 will fit the gap just right. I would expect to use my 7.5 most of the time, but want the board to carry my 6.5 and 8.5 as well. I race Formula and on rare occasions, slalom, but most of my sailing is just fast freesailing.

Does the 111 sound like a reasonable choice for me?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:09 PM   #17
Ken

Ian, G,

Interesting discussion,

I too am trying to decide on which isonic to buy, and from a few months of reading various threads on the boards, I think I will go for the 111 (or its 2008 replacement).

I weigh 80 kg and sail inland in Texas, so steady winds don't exist. A normal spring or fall windy day = winds ranging from 10 to 25 knots. Bigger boards are generally the call in order to get through the 10 knot holes.

For free sailing, I have a F160 which I use up to about 20 knots, then I change down to a 105L Hi Fly Move with a 6.5.

I am thinking the isonic 111 will fit the gap just right. I would expect to use my 7.5 most of the time, but want the board to carry my 6.5 and 8.5 as well. I race Formula and on rare occasions, slalom, but most of my sailing is just fast freesailing.

Does the 111 sound like a reasonable choice for me?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 05:09 PM   #18
G

Hey Ken,
I did it!
Usually I race Formula and, at my weight, 111 gives me any option when slalom is the call . I won't go bigger than 7,8 (at least if I'm in competiton) and no smaller than 6,3 .
The board will easily carry a 8,... but just for fast reaching in freesailing but then you will need a bigger fin so....
When really windy I don't like so much reduce sail area and the 6,8 leaves the board better balanced than 6,3 (it's just my point of view) .
For having a better idea you need to know what you have to do with your slalom board and then decide. I mean, 101 would be a good choice as well in such condition.
How about your training?
Do you wanna compete in slalom?
Do you like go big or not?
Are you "active" on board?
Are you familiar with marks?
How many sails/fins you own for a slalom board?
Do you use to sail slalom alone?
..and so on...

Maybe Ian can better suggest you than me.
Old 11th August 2007, 02:00 AM   #19
Madis

Send a message via MSN to Madis

101!
Madis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 06:12 AM   #20
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Ken,

For sweetspotting 7.5m with 80kg and performance range to 6.5m-8.5m on patchy inland conditions, iS111 is the "1".

Although I'm also a very big fan of the 101, with the inland holes you're describing, the better choice is the iS111, it's almost the ideal size "down" from FW boards too (for around 80kg racers choosing a second higher wind race/slalom board), delivering a very complimentary range with practical but not such excessive overlap that it costs you too much in the hi wind range.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote