Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd August 2007, 07:12 PM   #41

Default RE: Serenity - the way forward

My impression has been that Serenity is fun to sail on beam reaches whereas my old Div2 only really feels good railing upwind. Roger's thoughts alos give me plenty of things to try out.

another thing Roger mentioned
a "custom shop" prototype .... board the centerboard does not add that much weight
now that might just might make a Hybrid formula really work, shame they can't produce 'em like that.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 05:59 PM   #42
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Guest wrote:
My impression has been that Serenity is fun to sail on beam reaches whereas my old Div2 only really feels good railing upwind.
I don&#39;t agree at all. Railing the Serenity upwind is absolute great fun, especially when chasing Div2, Hobby Cats 14-16-18, 420-470-505 dinghies, Soling, Surprise or even larger sailboats such as a Toucan. In light winds < 7 knots, the Serenity + 10.6/11 m2 sail + 70 cm fin combo beats them all : same upwind angle but higher speed or more upwind angle but same speed.
The only thing that can beat a Serenity since 3 months so far on all points of sail is a Ventilo cat : faster upwind (20 m2 main sail) and faster downwind (20 m2 geenaker + 20 m2 main sail).

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 07:09 PM   #43
Randy

I beleive that this is really a funciton of choice for the fin. With a smaller fin it is probably easier to sail on a beam reach, while the bigger fin increases pointing.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 01:01 AM   #44
Joe

Default RE: Jean Marc

I&#39;m curious about pumping on the serenity - do you pump your 10.6 to beat the cat&#39;s or are you just gliding?

Great reports - especially with the speed/other boat references.

Gets me thinking - a serenity, an isonic 111(or 122) and a 7.5 sail would cover a range of 0-25 knots pretty well (86kg&#39;s).
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 02:40 AM   #45
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Joe,

No sail pumping unless to pop the cam after tacking and recover faster toping up speed. Pure gliding in displacement mode with the rig standing quite upright of course. Hanging on the harness with both feet nicely resting over the round windward rail to go upwind. Pay attention not to go too much upwind, it&#39;s very easy to stall. Don&#39;t overdo the banking/rolling of the hull while going upwind, it&#39;s easy to flip it over.
Bear in mind it does take time and distance to catch and pass those boat references, it&#39;s not done over 50 m obviously, but requires more like 300-500 m. No comparison made so far with a smaller sail (8.2 or 6.9 m2) yet, so I really can&#39;t comment how the Serenity would fare in <7 knots of wind against those references.

In almost 0 wind (anemometer not rotating), it&#39;s easy to reach a speed of 5-6 knots while pumping the big sail by ample and slow motion. Absolute key is correct trimming the sail according to conditions : very baggy with a tight leech in 1-5 knots, more flatter leading edge and a loosier leech in 6/7 knots of wind. Too much baggy a sail and it acts as a brake : cannot accelerate further, excessive backhand presure and the hull is almost tailwalking over her big 70 cm fin. The trick is to find the correct sail trim and hull pitch to go fast while foil riding the big fin and not let the hull tailwalk (the speed drops dramatically). This is why it can become a real challenge and be pretty exciting/rewarding to ride at the upper range of use IMHO.

The more lighter the wind, the faster with a larger sail obviously : Serenity + 10.6 sail + 65 kg rider beats another Serenity + 9.5 sail + 105 kg rider. A rematch will be planned later with both sailing a Code Red 2 11 m2 sail, stay tuned.

Cheers !

JM
Old 9th August 2007, 03:50 AM   #46

Default RE: no new Serenity for 2008

No new Serenity for 2008:
http://www.star-board.com/2008/pages/products/v_serenity.php
Or will it be launched later?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 05:54 AM   #47
steveC

You had me worried a bit, as the Serenity is a board that I&#39;m seriously contemplating. Chances are that physical design changes could not improve the existing shape, or maybe the desire for a yearly design update wasn&#39;t on the front shelf as a business/engineering priority. Nevertheless, I would expect a graphic update to bring it in line with this year&#39;s design concepts.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 05:36 PM   #48
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Aug 15 : unveiling day for 2008 products and phantasy/speculation will end...

See ya next week !

Cheers !

JM
Old 16th August 2007, 07:00 PM   #49
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Serenity Tuning tips by Tiesda : http://www.star-board.com/2008/pages...e_serenity.htm

Cheers !

JM