Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th August 2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default What 7.5 freerace sail would work on an Ezzy skinny?

I currently only ride wave, but I am thinking about getting an iSonic 111 and a freerace type 2 cam sail for light winds. I ride 2006 Ezzy wave SE sails, so I already have a 460 Ezzy skinny. Other than an Ezzy Infinity or Freeride, what sail brands could I consider? Since the iSonic is going to cost me an arm and a leg, i have to economise on the sail/mast and use the mast that I currently have. My experience with the Wave SE is that they lack light wind range, but have an incredible top end range, so I figure the same applies to the Infinity.
thanks,
Bruce
Old 19th August 2007, 02:30 PM   #2
PeterCee

You're wrong about the 7.5 infinity - it has as gutsy a bottom end as any other twin cam around.

On the ezzy skinny it is perfect and has a lovely light and powerful feel with easy handling.

Perfect for the isonic 111.
PeterCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 04:30 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

uhmmm, I think the windwind hammer has an "rdm" model. Check out their site, I know a lot of people who really like the windwind hammer. But there is also the naish boxer SL that rigs on an rdm.

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Unregistered

I dont think you will find another freerace sail on RDM mast in size 7.5

There are a few Race-sail options, but you have to be a bit handy.

You can convert (I have seen/done):

-Gaastra vapor 7.6 (2007)
-Naish Stealth 7.0 (2006/2007)
-Arrows maxx speed 7.5 (is standard on RDM)
-heard of severne Code red on RDM? dont know for sure.

In theory you can convert every SDM cam sail to an RDM sail, only thing is that the total shape will change. There is always something good and something worse, most of the time alternatives reduce the windrange of your sail.
Old 21st August 2007, 11:40 AM   #5
frigobox

The Loft Sails Blade: full race sail that's made for RDM mast.
http://www.loftsails.com/
frigobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:19 PM   #6
lucofede

The 2007 Naish Boxer SL is designed to work on skinny masts but the biger size is 7.0 with 430 mast, maybe in 2008 the line adds a 7.5 size sail, keep an eye on it.

Regards,
lucofede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Unregistered

I too had the same situation back in '06. I had an '05 7.2m2 Infinity. I thought the low end was not very good. The upper end was great. That is just my opinion.

I wanted more low end. I bought a '06 7.5m2 Severne Gator as I wanted zero cams, grid construction, and I had seen pictures of it rigged on a PWX RDM that looked O.K.

It does not really work right on My Ezzy 460, so I ended up buying a PWX 460cm SDM. Much better.

It think the bottom end is much better and the upper end is good, but not as good as the Infinity. I was happy to lose the cams.
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Mike T

Hi Bruce, I agree with Peter that the Ezzy Infinity is a great sail for freeride slalom sailing. I have an 2005 Ezzy Infinity 6.6Sqm sail that is a great match with my older narrow slalom board (Berky custom CR288 ). The sail has lots of power and great top end and lots of control when over powered. The new sails work well with the RDM Ezzy because you can change the size of the cambers that come with the sail. Try one you will be surprised at how nice they are to rig and sail. Good luck and fair winds! Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:37 PM   #9
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I checked and windwing does make the Hammer RDM sail, designed for RDM's. I would check it out, usually the hammers have very deep draft and good grunt low end as well as being very fast and I think full x ply and stylish looking
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 01:09 AM   #10
steveC

Bruce is in a dilemma that many find themselves in these days. He wants to leverage off a perfectly good mast, but what sails will work on it? Unfortunately, from sail brand to sail brand the character and bend curves of recommended masts can vary enough that compatibility and performance can sometimes suffer. Really, to get the most of any new kit, the sail should be matched with the recommended mast.

On the upside, Bruce can just stick with Ezzys and have proper compatibility and save some money. Are the Ezzys the best match with the iS111? Probably not, because the full on racing sail design is the most likely contender for that slot. Yet personally, I'm a big believer in matching camless sails with my slalom equipment because I like the way they rig and jibe, and if I might be losing the extreme high end stability or support through the lulls, I'm still quite satisfied. Since Bruce is focusing on a freerace sail as his prime target, something in the Ezzy line should readily meet his goals.

Last edited by steveC; 24th August 2007 at 01:11 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote