Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th September 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Gonzalo

Default Formula Windsurfing Worlds, Arnon and Gonzalo

Dear All,

Arnon and I made the desition to leave the worlds.

After some days of no wind the race director Bruno de Wanker decided to send us in the water with no wind. After severall starts that maybe 5 guys could get into plain...in wind around 5 knots he sent us back to the beach. Then he made the first upwind really short and sent us back in the water again. If only one gust of 7 knots would have arrived we would have made the race in 10 minutes...(complete joke). Luckily the wind never came in and after a couple of drifting starts he sent us back to the beach.
Being the 2nd day of the world championships we complain that is not possible to be sent in the water and try to race in those conditions. He claims he had 7 knots in his digital windreader (that magazine tests say they always measure more), he was also not on a drifting boat as the rule states and was 3mt above water. Anyways the rule says is up to his discretion...so were is his discretion gone??? when you see most of the fleet not making the start!!!!

3rd day the forecast was better in the late afternoon. When the wind just appeard again he sent eveybody to the water. The first race was so light that many people didnt make it to the start that was only 100 mts in front of the beach. We made some generall recalls as every body was super nervous that there was no wind. In the end and after shouting at him he put black flag and started us.
Unfortunately there was no wind and only some lucky guys that manage to plain in 5 knots finish the race. There was a 4 minute difference between position 5 to 6 and almost all the fleet didnt plane for minutes. I came back to the beach as i couldnt plane off the start with my 11.6. Arnon was on third and stop plaining on the reach!!!!!!!!!!!
Most of the people went to complain but the president of the class Ceri Williams just laugh and ignore us as he did all year long.
While most of the competitors were cursing of that first race they sent us back in the water with less wind. The second race was even worst and this made only 35 guys finish it. Now gathering most of the beach we went to complain and the president laugh at our face again. I pointed out what happened in Australia worlds, Portugal Europeans, Leba Poland, Turkey slalom World championships with this same race director on all of them besides AUS and we demanded that this two races had to be cancelled. Having three more days of racing and a promising late afternoon for racing the RD should have waited.

This is the World Championships and many people spent a lot of money to come and to compete on fair conditions. In my point of view, i came here to become world champion and to race in 5 knots of wind is not fair, so i made the decition to leave the event. I decided this to make an example to them and not because of i had two bad results.

It would have been much easier for us to stay and come back as we normally do. I did it last year and as i make many times, but not this time. This time we preffered to stund up and protest and dont let it go anymore. We went to the AGM and discuss it and again the president asked the RD and the RD said he would take the same decition if it happends again. All the sailors appart from Steve Allen agreed with us. Antoine Albeau and Jesper Vesterstrom stated that the first two races were not even close to racebale conditions. This was it, so after speaking with most of the fleet we left.

Right now we feel really bad as we spent a lot of effort, money and we had really high expectations. All year long we suffered with this bad decitions and even after complaining the president didnt do anything at all. We supported formula windsurfing since the begining and is not possible that 6 years later we have this sort of problems.
We love racing and we see it is going down. I know many people that want to join the tour and that want to race but after they came to the Europeans they decided to stay home and not come to Korea. Melbourne had the same problem at the first two races and this can not keep on happening at World Championships.

The events organisations improved since 6 years ago so it is a shame that the problem is inside the class. I spoke to the organiser in Portugal, Poland and here in Korea about it and they are really dissapointed. It is really sad that the inside is leting us down so we finally stood up and we are trying to make a point to improve the class for the future.

After all the effort people put to support the class coming to events knowing that they are not here for any money, the inside organazation is being unproffesional and making us feel we are part of a joke.

Some as the guys loving to be at the world championships couldnt afford to come. The Belgium team founded too expensive to come when they asked them a ridiculous amount of excess baggage deciding not to come in the end. The Brazilian team was reduced to two guys as many guys could not risk to go through this being amateurs...

So its really sad whats going on with this class and in the World Championships.
Its not about what gear you had or how good you are, there were no conditions and it doesnt matter if some guys are able to finish a race in this...it just hearts the class and most of the competitors who love this sport.

Hopefully the action we took will open the eyes of the people managing the class, the windsurfing industry and the sailors that love the sport trying to make a change and save Formula Windsurfing...

Arnon Dagan ISR1 and Gonzalo Costa Hoevel ARG3
Gonzalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Gonzalo

Default RE: Formula Windsurfing Worlds, Arnon and Gonzalo

apologise to bad spelling of brunos last name...we just realise it came out bad..
Old 9th September 2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Gonzalo

Default RE: Formula Windsurfing Worlds, Arnon and Gonzalo

Bruno de Wannemaeker is his correct name, sorry Bruno for spelling it wrong.
Gonzalo and Arnon