Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd August 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
veedot

Default is86 vs. is87

hi,
i need a high wind slalom board (to second my is111) for a 5.5-6.5 range.
additionally, i want to use it for gps speed sailing as well.
i was all set to order the is87, but now that the successor is86 is out I have a few questions regarding its top speed.

how does the wider tail of the is86 affect the board's end speed?
would the is87 top results at the gps-speedsurfing.com be possible with the is86, given all other parameters remained the same?

in other words, i am interested in how much has the board's top speed suffered, for the (presumable) benefit of better acceleration, wider range and earlier planing of the new model (due to the wider tail, and consequently bigger fins)?

cheers,
v.
veedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Franc from Portugal

Veedot da manhã boa,
os 86 são mais servidos se você desgastar 43 e o tamanho menor da sapata,
quando 87 forem mais para povos com pés mais grandes.
Entretanto, se você couber o somewher dentro entre este, as várias modalidades da instalação são possíveis mas você terá que esperar anos seguintes modela.
Beautifull da estada,
Francisco
Franc from Portugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:44 PM   #3
veedot

ok, great, thanks franc...

now, can somebody translate that for me?
v.
Old 24th August 2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Phill104

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedot View Post
now, can somebody translate that for me?
v.
It's a recipe for cheese scones

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi V, cant help you with the cheese scones but can say that due to a severe lack of speed wind conditions in the past couple of months, we have not really had any real opportunity to go "head to head" with the new production IiS86 against the very well proven iS87. Hopefully that will all change in the next few weeks and we'll be able to get real vMax ratings from the new model vs 2007.

In testing the protos the new model may have some edge in top end in ideal and steady conditions ( 2008 features DoubleFlat rocker vs constant on 2007 - so in combination with wider tail does in theory present a more efficent aspect ratio top end planing surface )

In the meantime, the iS87 continues to be a classic board in it's size, with really verstaile slalom and speed potential - plus it will be immediately available in your local market.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi all,

I have tested both Isonic 87 & 86 in july 2 weeks before the event in Pozo and The new Isonic 86 is probably the same speed BUT control on the 86 isonic is much better compare to the 87 Isonic..

Speed 87 fast
speed 86 faster

Jibing 87 good
Jibing 86 better

Control 87 nice
Control 86 nicer...

Kevin and I even tested the 86 against the 76 and we felt that 86 is better to control in hign wind speed..

The 86 will sure be a great board to have..

Taty
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:26 AM   #7
ianb

How can it be that the iS 86 can have better top speed and better control? Maybe this is one for Tiesda but surely control and top end speed will come from a narrower tail rather than the wider tail which is a feature of the iS 86?

/ placed order for iS 86 today, can't wait!
ianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm no slalom board expert, but I think its mostly kind of a myth that tail width (alone) has that kind of influence. Check out reply no 9 by Ian Fox in this thread: http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...highlight=iS86

for some of the other considerations in slalom board shaping that.

Or better: just be sure to put the iS86 through its paces when you get it!
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 04:33 AM   #9
ianb

Hi Ola, thanks for the reply. That certainly is an interesting post which has both explained why I was wrong and confirmed why I was right Ian Fox comments that the narrower board is more suitable in GPSSS conditions of very flat water which I think confirms the traditional view of tail width being instrumental, along with rocker line, in the overall top speed.

However, as we all know, these boards will generally be sailed in less than perfect conditions, in reality the majority of people sailing them (me included) will achieve higher speeds through the ease of use of the board and I think it is generally accepted that the iSonic range has been so successful due to this user friendliness.

Whatever the details, if the board is as good as my iS111 I will be more than happy!
ianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 05:58 PM   #10
veedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fox View Post
... we have not really had any real opportunity to go "head to head" with the new production IiS86 against the very well proven iS87. Hopefully that will all change in the next few weeks and we'll be able to get real vMax ratings from the new model vs 2007.
Hi Ian,
Any news on head to head testing of the two boards?

Cheers,
v.