Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th August 2007, 03:27 AM   #11
Phill104

For me the US box is fine. I mainly sail my K96 on a lake where it is great in the strong gusy winds and big wind blown chop we get. For blasting and B&J it is a lot of fun with the fin big freeride fin back in the box. When I go to the coast I just put a wave fin in the box further forward and it really loves the waves if driven of the front foot. I cannot see how such a drastic personality change could be achieved with a PB especially having tried a few of them in Dahab.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 05:53 AM   #12
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Agree with Phil above : the US box of my Kombat 86 is perfect to toggle between a wave board program (wave fin set forward in its finslot; footstraps x 3 set inboard and forward) and a B&J&freeride program (freeride fin set backward in finslot; footstraps x 4 set outboard and back). With a Tuttle or a Powerbox, it's impossible to match the COE of either a wave or a freeride fin with that of the footstrap's set-up. Being able to tune the position of the fin in it's finslot is what makes this Kombat unique and a truly convertible 2 boards-in-1 solution.

On a personal note, I don't want a Powerbox because as Ola said above, I'm already seating on a pile of US box fins (20-32 cm of wave, freeride & slalom) as well as Tuttle box fins (25-80 cm of freestyle, freeride, slalom & race/formula). Two finbox systems are plenty enough for my taste.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 10:15 AM   #13
qldsalty

Red face

I suspect the people who want power/tuttle mostly freeride and the people who use the Kombat for waves prefer US. I had a Kombat 105 and 86. I mostly bump and jumped with the accasional wave thrown in. On both boards I broke the freeride fin off just behind the screw hitting sand banks in a bar. IT was very hard to replace the fin leaving the only option: wave fins. Right now I want a new 96 ltr board as I've got a little heavier. If it didn't have US I would be delighted.

Maybe Starboard could do a run of 96/107 in a tuttle box to see what the take up would be. If they can do the larger sizes in tufskin why not a different fin system. That would be the ultimate service to the customer. Or have a special order system. That may not be practical as I don't know the cost to set that sort of thing up.
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 01:23 PM   #14
geo

Once some manufacturers used to offer (some of) their products in different fin box versions, i. e. Tuttle or powerbox. I don't know whether that would be possible today.
That said, I do totally agree with Starboard's choice not to sell powerbox boards. Tuttle is the way to go if strength is required, US has the adjustability if this is needed, both at the negligible cost of minimal hassle when mounting/dismounting fins. As for the smaller Kombats, it seems obvious to me to make it possible to use one's wave fin quiver on those boards.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Jean-Marc
TEAM

qldsalty,

You can still order a US box freeride or slalom fin from Vector, Pro-Limit and Select. However, ordering a wave fin in Tuttle box is becoming very difficult nowadays, so fitting a Tuttle box inside the small Kombat is pointless to me.

StarBoard have had Powerbox and Tuttle box in the early days but customers preferred Tuttle box in the end, mainly for its reliability : http://2006.star-board.com/Forum/ask...ad.asp?ID=4126

Finally, it's safer for your board to break the front tab of a US box fin base when hitting sand bars full speed. With a Powerbox or Tuttle box, you can damage the board by pulling out the box itself, which is more co$tly...

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 30th August 2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 30th August 2007, 04:29 PM   #16
Jean-Marc
TEAM

qldsalty,

You can repair the broken front tab of your US box fin base with a product called Fin Guard. This is a non-rust metallic plate assembly that mounts on both side of the fin base by drilling 2 holes, thus recreating a functional front tab. Can't remember the brand, however, sorry for that.

Cheers !

JM
Old 30th August 2007, 06:35 PM   #17
qldsalty

Talking

Jean-Marc, thanks for info. I don't have a Kombat just now. The fins are already in the rubbish. When they broke they folder over on the rear pin at the edge of the fin box so I think the fins are unfixable after that. Turning when hitting causes that damage. Both times I see the impending doom to late.
I agree tuttle is great. THe few times I hit with tuttle I incurred absolutely no damage at all. It is definately very strong. The one power box I had was a mistral in 2005 and I couldn't tighten the bolt fully as the lever had to fold down north or south. My Syncro for the tight position was half way around, so I had to back it off a bit. That was a real pain. This issue has been raised many times and I doubt there will every be any change. These days I use the 93 Stype for bump and Jump while not Ideal still does the job. THat of course has tuttle and a freeride fin that is good for those conditions. I wonder how a Future will go for this use?

We have a select importer right here with a huge range but unfortunatly no supercross in US box. So you know how it is. I didn't want to miss a days sailing waiting for a fin to be imported. A instant decision needed to be made. I ended with 25 X1 wave fin.

Last edited by qldsalty; 30th August 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote