Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd September 2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Lionell

Default sizes of the boards

Hey,
Iam wondering why bigger boards e.g. about 140l are SO wide?
I started windsurfing last summer with very old board with daggerbord (length about 300 cm width 69 cm). Now I would like to get new freeride board. My weight is about 96 kg and I can plane with harness lines but I cant yeat do the water start. So I would like to have a board about 140 l . I have tryed Carve 144 but I found it unreasonable wide.
If you compare e.g. carve 122 and 144. 144 is only 4 cm longer but almost 10cm wider. So my question is why these bigger boards cant be also a bit longer instead of being unreasonable wide. I think that I still need those litres but I dont want to feel that I sail with a board for beginner (that I feel with carve 144). I think that boards for heavyer guys could be couple cm:s longer.

wainting for answer
Lionell
Lionell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Lionell,
Ummmm.... wider makes the board far more stable (at rest) and also gets the board planing much earlier.
Longer does nothing! It's just added swing weight . If the volume in the Carve boards is concentrated behind the mast foot (where it needs to be and will do the sailor the most good), providing the best "float" in the area where the sailor will have their weight.
If you could convince me that you are standing in front of the mast foot alot, then a longer nose might make sense.
If you are indeed standing with one foot well in front of the mast foot, even when uphauling, then you are simply too far forward on the board.
Move back a bit, the center of your weight over the fore and aft center of the volume/float in the board and life will become much easier.
The Carve 144 is anything but a "beginner board" even for a fellow of your size.
It's about 2 x faster than anything you've sailed (if longboards are what you've been sailing), much more stable, jibes like a dream in comparison.
It would seem that you've spent the last year learning alot of techniques that work for sailing the longboards you have had, and now it's time to forget much of that and move on to shortboard sailing. Very different, I can assure you.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Lionell

Thanks Roger!

I think that I should try the carve 144 in stronger winds because I have tried it only in light winds where I couldnt get it really planing. But before buying it I would also like to try carve 133 (almost 7 cm narrower) because I still feel like I dont need those extra cm:s.
Do you think that 133 is big enough for me (uphauling etc.)?
Lionell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Lionell,
Do I think the Carve 133 (133 liters) will work for a 96 Kg. sailor who has just learned on a 300 + cm x 69 cm wide longboard.....?
Yes, it will work. But it is not going to be easy.
At first it will seem like even the Carve 144 is "too small"
Up until now you have not had to worry about fore and aft trim very much at all, but you've had to worry alot about rail to rail trim and balance as your longboards are very tippy rail to rail, but you have to move a meter or more to get a big mistrim fore and aft.
The Carve boards are going to be exactly the opposite.
Rail to rail trim and balance will be much easier to achieve than on your 69 cm wide longboard, but the fore and aft trim and Angle of Attack (AOA) of the Carves is going to be very tricky at first. Tiny little movements of your weight or tiny changes in foot placement and stance are going to have you onboard and stable or falling the water very quickly.
So, right at first, until you get the Carve fully planing, it's going to be tricky and frustrating.
Once you figure it out, it's going to feel wonderful.
If you can figure out precisely where you need to stand on the Carve 133 I'm quite sure the board has enough volume to support you while you uphaul.
You may end up with your front foot moved back against the mast foot and your rear foot well behind the mast foot, but once you get your center of mass centered on the Carve (rail to rail) and positioned correctly for and aft over the center of the volume in the board, you should be pretty stable.
Then you will need to learn to accellerate the board and move back (relative to the rate of acceleration) to get the AOA correct for efficient planing.
It's going to be different, and take some time, but we all managed at some point to make this transition, so you will most likely be able to as well.
Might be better to stay with a wider floatier board, in the near term, as this will promote earlier planing for a fellow of your size. You will need big rigs to achieve this.
What's the largest rig you are considering? For 96 Kg. on a Carve 133 in 15 knots of wind I'd think an 8.5 m2 rig would be adequate to kinda small.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 3rd September 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote