Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd September 2007, 09:55 PM   #1
squiz53

Default What Light wind board ???

I am a 100 k sailer whose light wind gear consists of a Fanatic mega cat (still great fun to sail in light airs to 20kts but slow to plan compared to a formula board - although I have reached speeds of 24+) , a starboard carve 145 (easy board to sail but slow top speed - again 24) and a F2 Xantos 295 (this is faster 27+ and can handle a bigger sea) I use Ezzy infinity's, 6.6,7.5 and 8.5 and a tushingham Lightning 9.4 which are great,I have tried a friends North warp 10.9 which I found very heavy and uncomfortable to sail.
I am now getting fed up with friends with formula gear planing earlier and going faster in 8 to 15 and having tried formula boards I'm not a great lover of 1m boards with 70cm fins and was wondering if there was an alternitive eg a big modern slalom board like a - 2006 Starboard Isonic 135 for example.I am looking for something 2/3 years old as funds are abit tight.
squiz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Unregistered

im no expert in this field or anything but if you dont get on too well with formulas maybe you can find an F-Type, you may be able to find one second hand as they were discontinued in 2007 and replaced by the larger i-sonics. just a thought if you find one of these.
Old 4th September 2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Unregistered

I'm no expert, either. But there HAS to be something better than a formula board out there for your needs. Formula is not a good reaching freeride board. It is over-finned on reaches, and becomes relatively unstable at high speeds. It was designed for the slower-speed upwind and downwind legs of a race course. Racers dread the reaches. Freeriders in our area who want to plane early are finally realizing this.
Old 4th September 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Unregistered

at your weight and funds being a problem I would definetly NOT go for a iS135!
2 reasons
- its fragile
- its wood == if it isn't already broken it will be shortly after you use it.

Go for an FType 137 DRAM or the likes but make sure whatever light wind board you get that it isn't wood!

100 Kg & wood == short board life.
Old 4th September 2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Hookipa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
at your weight and funds being a problem I would definetly NOT go for a iS135!
2 reasons
- its fragile
- its wood == if it isn't already broken it will be shortly after you use it.

Go for an FType 137 DRAM or the likes but make sure whatever light wind board you get that it isn't wood!

100 Kg & wood == short board life.
I'm not 100kgs, but 90+ and my wood boards look like new after two seasons... (iSonic 125 and F160)
Hookipa18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Unregistered

- iS125 is not light wind (comparision doesn't work)
- F160 does, but then again, its made (should) for huge fins and the accompanying huge pressure under rear footpads so as long as you stay on them you'll be fine.

another little thing to take into account: repairing a DRAM/technora is a job you can take care of yourself and live with the results (like 1 / repair). Try putting a hole in your wood board (very easy) and having it repaired propery: 200 and it still looks like shit. So if funds are a problem -> dram/technora all the way, cheaper, stonger and only a wee bit heavier!
Old 5th September 2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Per

Hi
Funny, I had a Carve 145 and a Tushingham Lightning 9.4 too. I'm 97 kgs and clocked 28.9 knots with the 9.4 and +30 with smaller sails on the Carve 145. It's not a slow board at all, but it has to be sailed very much on the aft of the board. It's quite an early planing combo too.
I used to hate formula too, but after switching to a F159 and a Tushingham Lightning 10.3 I must admit that they (the newer short designs, NOT the older ones) do have a lot of freeride potential.
They do reach quite well actually, they are fast, control is very much better than they look (100 cm wide with 70 fin). Cruising potential is HUGE and time on the water extended a lot if you live in a low wind area.
Only disadvantage is that some of them are quite fragile.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:08 AM   #8
squiz53

Hi All
thanks for the replys - all very interesting.

Pers sounds like you got your 145 to fly - I must try harder and I like the idea of the lightning 10.3 with a formula board as I am really impressed with the 9.4 .
squiz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Per

Hi squiz.
The Lightning is a very impressive sail indeed. The 10.3 feels very much like the 9.4, just with more bottom end. I had a chance to try one of the new Neil Pryde RS6 10.7 race sails, just for a comparison.
They NP's do point higher than the Lightning, and they are a good toy for serious racing but it felt way more heavy and slow handling than the Lightning.
And.... The price of the Lightning included the mast is less than the NP without mast. And... I've never had a Tushingham sail that broke.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:07 AM   #10
Unregistered

i would agree with that last post, tushinghams are pretty much all 100pounds cheaper than their equivilant neil pryde, and as for high performance stuff, neil pryde RS racing 10.7= 999pounds, tushingham x-15 10.8 (new one) 499pounds. 500pounds cheaper! and i think your getting a sail thats just as good if not better!